Greenstone: Three Mile or Lane Cove East to Lookout Louise

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Greenstone: Three Mile or Lane Cove East to Lookout Louise

Post by Rafiki »

I'm sure several of you have done the greenstone to lookout louise and was just curious if you thought it was anything special or magnificent compared to other places you have been on that island. Thanks.
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Greenstone: Three Mile or Lane Cove East to Lookout Loui

Post by jerry »

I got up early (at Lane Cove) and day hiked out to Lookout Louise. Make sure you bring water. It took over three hours to get there, but with the morning sun coming up it was nice. There'll be lots of views coming and going in addition to the Lookout. While at the Lookout numerous birds were flying about. I could see many boats in waterways below. At one point a big bird (airplane) flew overhead on its way to Thunder Bay. On the hike back to Lane Cove it got hot (maybe 80+) on the ridges with grasshoppers, etc. The water went on the head as well as in the mouth. I only came across 4 people on that portion of the Greenstone and 2 of them told me later they gave up and came back to Lane Cove (too hot for them).
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Re: Greenstone: Three Mile or Lane Cove East to Lookout Loui

Post by Rafiki »

Thanks Jerry for taking the time to develop that beautiful picturesque scene of things as you recalled walking the trail. I felt like I was taken to the island for a brief moment. Especially with the mention about the numerous birds flying around and the grasshopers on the 80+ degree day you decided to go hiking on from Lane Cove. I'm looking forward to doing it, but now after hearing your story, I just want summer to make its way over here already so I can get my butt back to the island. Thanks again.
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)