Solo Trip in May

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Solo Trip in May

Post by Rafiki »

Just about an hour ago I started debating with myself about taking a solo trip in May. It would be nice to get away for a while and just be by myself to sort out my own personal thoughts, dreams, and ambitions. I have never done one before and was wondering if anyone could give me some broad advice on what I should consider.

P.S. Do you think Ill be able to book myself on the first Ranger III or Isle Queen ferry ride or do you think all spots have been taken up by now? Thanks in advance.
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: Solo Trip in May

Post by Tom »

If you keep debating with yourself, soon you'll be a master debater! :oops:

About the only difference for solo in May vs June-Aug is the decrease in probability of seeing people. So, you just need to be confident in your skills and health, and not take silly risks that could put you in a dangerous place: injured, alone, and little chance of someone around to assist.

I think this year even the first Voyageur II boat may arrive to see leaf out, so that may not be an advantage, but it's still a great time of year to see the Isle. You'll get longer days, and often fewer bugs. Most of the lakes (inland, and Superior) are too cold for most people to take a dip or even wash up some, but it makes for great drinking water.
Ferry availability can be random, so you just have to call and ask. Also be aware that while the Ranger III publishes May 29th as a "start" date, it's actually running much before that, running staff and supplies out to the Isle. They will sell seats if they have room, but I don't think it's something they advertise outright. I took the Voyageur II "first boat" a couple years ago, and met a group of kayakers that had come over a couple days before that run, so around May 1....
Gimp
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by Gimp »

I took a solo trip along the Minong trail in late may 2010. At one point I didn't see another person for about 30 hours so I was absolutely on my own. I always backpack solo but to do so you have to be aware of the risks, and have the knowledge and ability to deal with them. If I had broken my leg near Lake Desor I would have been a full days walk away from a Ranger with a radio in one direction (Windigo), and further than that to Daisy Farm in the other direction. With a broken leg I couldn't crawl that far so I would have to sit at the side of the trail awaiting another backpacker. That could be a long wait. It would take that backpacker at least a day to get to a Ranger with a radio, and another day for help to walk in to get me as I wouldn't be near water where a boat could be sent to pick me up. Then there's the time to get me out of there. I've broken my leg before and it was an extremely painful experience that required a helicopter evacuation. At least someone was with me when it happened and we had a radio, but that was the longest hour of my life. So, if you want to take a solo trip and you are uncertain of your abilities in an emergency, take the Greenstone. Even in mid-May there will be people on it and it won't take nearly as long for someone to come across you, although it could still take a couple of days before you get evacuated.

Note: Keep in mind that the stores at either end of the trail aren't open until about Memorial Day weekend so there is no option to resupply if you get delayed. (I spent an unplanned extra two plus days there once so it happens and you need to plan for that.) If you decide to take the float plane you can't carry fuel, and you can't buy it on the island if the stores are closed. If you check the store opening dates you could plan to end your hike on about the Friday of Memorial Day weekend when the stores are probably opening up. The island is still pretty empty until the Queen shows up with the first crowds of the season, just when you would be outbound.

BTW, hiking by yourself with no artificial noise, no people talking, and no MP3 player is a great way to clear your mind and think about life.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

One of the biggest issues folk who do solo trips might have is being alone at night. Isle Royale is a great place to travel solo. For one you have the shelters to stay in, a little added security for night. I can honestly say I have yet to meet someone on IR who I would not share a shleter with (I have done so on many solo trips with strangers who wanted to get out of the weather). Going solo will give you a new sense of independance and will allow you to get to know a side of yourself you may not know. You can truely do a trip at your leisure. There is something spiritual sitting outside your shelter at Moskey listening to loons call and wolves howl while admiring a night sky you will never see in Chicago.

May is usually very uncrowded; folks who go then are often repeaters from years past. In the past, the trees had not leafed out and bugs were non-existant. Probably not so this year as the trees are leafing out already.
Enjoy your trip!!
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

Heed Gimp and johnhens words. I went from South Desor to Malone a few years back. It was about 30 hours before I saw/talked to anyone. My trip was in June, yet the human quiet (not so for the animals, etc.) was as mentioned very spiritual. Most of my trips to Isle Royale have been solo too. You do have to be prepared as mentioned for anything. Go for it.
Rafiki
IR Expert

Post by Rafiki »

Tom: Ha Ha Ha with the Master Debater comment :P I want to thank you for giving me the idea about contacting the Ranger III park services. You are correct, they do sell seats at earlier points than the advertised May 29th date. This is good news, because I know that I did not want to drive all the way to Grand Portage, MN to take the Voyageur II since it is almost an 11 hour trip for me. 11 hours driving by yourself can be a little boring. Furthermore, while the Isle Queen IV was a potential option, I really did not want to have to stay in a hotel once I got back from the Island. Since the Isle Queen IV gets back at 6:30pm and I know that it takes me about 8 hours to get home, it would require me to drive in the morning hours. Something I'd rather completely avoid since I hit deer at 1:30am on the first trip in 2004. Therefore, if I was going to do this trip, I wanted to take the Ranger III and I wanted to take it in Early or Mid-May. Your advice gave me this option. The only bad news about this option is two things. Weather in early to mid-may is said to be unpredictable and while the Ranger rarely ever cancels a trip to the island during the regular season due to the size of the ship, during the preseason I was told this is not always the case and that it happens more frequently. The other bummer is that they cannot guarantee me a seat. Everything is stand by. Priority goes to park employees, freight, and family and friends of park employees. I was told that I need to be most concerned with the family and friends aspect of things. While they can have a pretty good idea of what employees and freight are going over to the island on a given day, family and friends do pop up out of nowhere and it has caused individuals that were hoping to go to the island on a given day to not be able to go. Therefore, it could be a real crap shoot especially since they only run on Tuesdays. In otherwords, if you you get bumped of the list because I priority member takes your seat, you won't be able to go to the island until next Tuesday. And if you are like me and coming from Chicago, then you would obviously not wait around for a week, you would go back home. Long story short, this option sounds best from someone that lives an hour away from Houghton or for someone that is retired and can afford to waste the time that it would take to Houghton. The thing that makes this option very difficult for me is besides driving up to Houghton and risking not being able to get on the boat, I will also be requestiing a week off from work and my vacation time is already being used for the other two trips I plan on taking in July and October. Therefore, I will be esentically risking a week off of work without pay if I am not able to get on the ferry. Yikes. And unfortunately there is no way I could request the days back if I do not go, because other employees will already be set in place to work the shifts that I would be missing. Double bummer. Oh and not to mention the time and gas that would be wasted on the drive up there. The way these gas prices are looking nowadays I could be easily out almost $130 is gas.
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
Rafiki
IR Expert

Post by Rafiki »

Gimp:
If I had broken my leg near Lake Desor I would have been a full days walk away from a Ranger with a radio in one direction (Windigo), and further than that to Daisy Farm in the other direction. With a broken leg I couldn't crawl that far...
I stubbed my toe pretty seriously one time and I didn't think I was going to be able to crawl, let alone walk, but sometimes we surpise ourselves. You just gotta dig deep and think happy thoughts. Ok so maybe that wasn't the most comparable type injury ha ha ha. Ya I definitely do not what that situation happening to me. I intend to take every precaution possible. You are correct, going this early means less people, and if you are hiking solo on top of it, you have to be that much more careful. Also good note on not being able to resupply at the stores. While we could all survive with a couple of days without food, that would not be a fun way to end a trip. I definitely will aim to pack an extra couple of days of food.
BTW, hiking by yourself with no artificial noise, no people talking, and no MP3 player is a great way to clear your mind and think about life.
This is the part I am looking most forward to. Just being at peace with the island and my thoughts. Dwelling on what goals I want to set in this thing we call life, when I want to achieve them, and how I am going to about doing them.
Rafiki
IR Expert

Post by Rafiki »

John: I won't lie, and not to sound like a wimp, but yes, I am a bit concerned about being alone at night. I don't know if its because I have watched one to many scary movies, if I have seen one to many murder mysteries on court tv, or if the darkness and being unaware of what is lurking outside of my tent bothers me. I honestly don't think there is anything that will get me past this minor fear, but I hope that the newfound sense of independance and getting to know myself on a deeper level will be the thing thats takes away all worries.
There is something spiritual sitting outside your shelter at Moskey listening to loons call and wolves howl while admiring a night sky you will never see in Chicago.
Don't get me all excited with such talk, you might see me on the news tonight after boaters rescue me from Lake Superior after I try to do the front crawl over to the island :)
Rafiki
IR Expert

Post by Rafiki »

Jerry:
It was about 30 hours before I saw/talked to anyone.
This is the idea I find most alluring. Don't get me wrong, I am a very social animal if there ever was one, but I like the idea of complete removal from civilization with no human contact. Every person I have every met on the island or on this forum have all been wonderful to converse with, but for this particular trip I want as much solitude as possible. I really want it just be me and my own personal thoughts. Of course the big guy upstairs is always invited, but He already knows that.
LeftOvers
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by LeftOvers »

I usually hike solo, pre and post season and I love it for all the good reasons already stated. Hiking the Minong from McCargo Cove to Windigo in October, I didn't see anyone for the entire four days except a helicopter over Lake Desor North.
Going in May, you won't have too much "night" to worry about - it's light longer there than in Chicago. Time your sleeping right and you may never see the stars. I always get up before dawn and start my hike around dawn - great time to wake the moose up. Dawn's the only time I've seen steaming wolf scat on the trail, too.
Rafiki
IR Expert

Post by Rafiki »

Ya I like to start my days early too. It's nice to hit the trails before the sun really begins to beat down on you. And its nice to get to the next campsite before the sun starts going down.
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

Rafiki wrote:John: I won't lie, and not to sound like a wimp, but yes, I am a bit concerned about being alone at night. I don't know if its because I have watched one to many scary movies, if I have seen one to many murder mysteries on court tv, or if the darkness and being unaware of what is lurking outside of my tent bothers me. I honestly don't think there is anything that will get me past this minor fear, but I hope that the newfound sense of independance and getting to know myself on a deeper level will be the thing thats takes away all worries.
There is something spiritual sitting outside your shelter at Moskey listening to loons call and wolves howl while admiring a night sky you will never see in Chicago.
Don't get me all excited with such talk, you might see me on the news tonight after boaters rescue me from Lake Superior after I try to do the front crawl over to the island :)
There aren't too many people who aren't a little nervous on their first solo trips ,at least that I have spoken to, myself included. If you are coming from Chicago, you are far safer on IR than elsewhere. Other than being chased by moose, squirrels throwing pine cones at you and an occasional fox trying to lighten you food load. Someday you will do a solo trip and you will love it. Zombies do not like IR, not a target rich environement!
Rafiki
IR Expert

Post by Rafiki »

Well if there are no zombies, then all of my worries are irrevelant. Thank you for clarifying matters. I will be able to sleep soundly at night now :wink:

So here is a new one for you. If I am going at the begining of May before the Voyageur even makes its first trip to the island, I know I am going to be one of the very first people visiting the island this year. Continuing on that note, it is very likely that there probably won't be many people on the island at this time, and having come to this conclusion, I would like to believe that I'd pretty much be able to secure a shelter anywhere I travel. So here is the big question, do you think it would be risky not to bring a tent? The way I am looking at it is besides probably being able to secure a shelter, even if I get to a site that has all shelters occupied (just typing that sounds so ununfathomable), I know I will be departing early enough in the morning that I could just travel to the next campground with shelters so I have a place to sleep. I will be by myself. I know that I am very physically capable. I know I will have a light backpack. Miles, Distances, obstacles, and time should now pose an issue. I'd really to hear everyones opinions and to express any concerns you may have with my idea. Thanks.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

Rafiki wrote: I would like to believe that I'd pretty much be able to secure a shelter anywhere I travel. So here is the big question, do you think it would be risky not to bring a tent?
Risky? Maybe. I'd give you a 98% probability of getting a shelter. However, stay limits do not apply, and there some early season campers (Bucket Bob, etc) will base camp at shelters and then boat around on an interval. (Note: I'm TOTALLY doing this when I retire! :D )
It's only the camps that have limited shelters (Todd Harbor, Siskiwit, maybe Chippewa) that I would be concerned about. Keep in mind anyone else getting out early will have the same idea.
I personally grab the tent because it's nice to set up inside the shelter for warmth/protection. Free-standing tents are permissible to do that. I've woken up at 4am at Moskey Basin in early May, with a breeze coming off the bay, and the air temp being 28F. That screen doesn't offer any thermal protection. Dang cold!
Rafiki wrote:I know I will be departing early enough in the morning that I could just travel to the next campground with shelters so I have a place to sleep. ... Miles, Distances, obstacles, and time should now pose an issue. .
Don't be so sure on your ability to put on distance. For much of the Island, if not all, you'll be beating the trail crews. Depending on how the winter was, you could find trails literally clogged with debris and downed trees. That can take a 3mph pace down below 1. Easily. It comes close to backcountry pace. You never know what might lie next on the trail.
An unplanned injury could also slow your desired rate, and should be considered.
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

Glad you enjoyed the zombie comment. My sister (who does not do the outdoors) is certain that mass murderers use IR as a base of operations!!

I have never had a problem getting a shelter in the Spring. If I were backpacking, I would carry at least a lighweight tarp that you can use instead of the tent. You are not carrying the weight of a tent you may not use. You still have shelter if you ran into a problem on the trail or showed up, as Tom said, at Todd Harbor and the shelter was taken. And you have a wind break if the wind is blowing in.
By the way I am glad to see I am not the only one thinking through a trip and different approaches to a trip!!
It is fun, at least for me, to try and come up with scenarios and how would be best to address them.