GRT FKT - travel itinerary

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

drobarge
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 24

Re: GRT FKT - travel itinerary

Post by drobarge »

Here's where I dug it up!
ericcharette
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by ericcharette »

Thinking this through, the report from George's logbook indicate that the ranger ran from Rock Harbor to Windigo (pressumably using the Tobin Harbor Trail to Mount Franklin). This route is slightly shorter than running the entire Greenstone Ridge Trail to its terminus at the Hidden Lake / Lookout Louise Trail intersection, but still an impressive time!

I gather because of the logistics of the GRT ending where it does, and then having to get back to Rock Harbor, is why so few reports of hiking/running it end to end (for time) exist. After all, why go to Lookout Louise when you can just turn off and head back to the lodge?

I guess for this effort, I will be trying to run the entire length of the GRT (40.1 miles) in the fastest time. Then once that is documented and set, I would love to hear how someone else did it faster the next day! That would be great motivation for me or others to get out there and experience this great park and test their bodies!
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

There was an LEO at Windigo who used to run the GRSTN like you are planning. He has been gone now for at least 3 maybe 4 years. I will check with someone about the LEO from Amygdaloid.

You might have some of your team meet you at the Ishpeming Tower with water and or Chickenbone with water if logistics allow it. Sometimes going across the rocky areas, there will be little depressions in the rocks that will hold water you could filter-if there has been recent rain.
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

They were under construction last year at the end of July--just framed in at that point. Since there's only 1 concessionaire on the island (Rock Harbor Lodge), "Yes", I assume that they would be the ones to talk to. Also, the Washington Creek campground at Windigo has a bunch of shelters, which would probably appeal to your Dad. Odds are you would get one, but you would need to carry the tent just in case (1st come, 1st serve).
We discussed the "cabins" at Windigo at canoecopia, (barebones, no kitchen, I think they do have electricity. I don't believe they were completed.
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

I think Carl TerHaar might have been the ranger in 2008. He stays at the ranger station at Amygdaloid Island and I think he has been there for the past several summers. Nice guy, but I don't see him being a runner.
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

Hope you won't have to use a sat. phone in case of an injury from a fall.
ericcharette
NewbieCake

Post by ericcharette »

Here is my final schedule, pending sea plane reservations which should come today. I have one question (in all caps, I am not shouting) below. Other than that, if any of y'all are out there on these dates, I'd love some company (at 10 minute pace) or if you are hiking either end and can drop any cache water for me:)

Day 0 - Mon July 9
- Drive to Houghton
- Fly to Windigo via sea plane, preferably in the afternoon
- Camp at Windigo.

Day 1 - Tues July 10
- Run 40.1 miles from Windigo along Greenstone Ridge Trail to northern terminus at Lookout Louise trail connector
- (crew taking the Isle Royale Queen departing Copper Harbor at 8:00am eastern and arriving at Rock Harbor at 11:00am central)
- (crew renting a boat or canoe and paddling across Tobin Harbor to Hidden Lake and hiking up to meet me at the finish)
- (crew taking me back across Tobin Harbor to Rock Harbor via canoe)
- Staying at Rock Harbor Cabin
- NEED DETAILS ON HOW TO STORE MY TENT AND GEAR AT WINDIGO

Day 2 - Wed July 11
- Free day of hiking, fishing with my dad (crew) on his birthday
- Staying at Rock Harbor Cabin

Day 3 - Thurs July 12
- Depart Rock Harbor at 8:00am central via Voyageur 2
- Arrive Windigo at 12:30pm central to pick up gear stored
- Fly from Windigo back to Houghton via seaplane (for me and my crew) must be after 2pm central
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

ericcharette wrote:- NEED DETAILS ON HOW TO STORE MY TENT AND GEAR AT WINDIGO
Contact the Rock Harbor Lodge (they run the Windigo store) http://rockharborlodge.com/contactus/
Day 2 - Wed July 11
- Free day of hiking, fishing with my dad (crew) on his birthday
Nice!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

ericcharette wrote:- NEED DETAILS ON HOW TO STORE MY TENT AND GEAR AT WINDIGO
I still think you can avoid the boat trip back to Windigo. You can mail bulk items from Windigo via U.S. Postal Service. The Voyageur II is an official USPS carrier. Bring with you on the plane, packing and shipping materials (i.e. cardboard box and tape) or suitable shipping container for your overnight Windigo equipment. Make sure the box or container has enough prepaid postage and labels afixed and simply mail it to yourself. Don't mail any fuels, etc. There are threads somewhere on this board describing the process in more detail. My simple search didn't turn one up. Hopefully I'll find it or someone will link to it.

If you are planning to leave Windigo at pre-dawn you might need some local cooperation (i.e. someone else getting up early too :( ) in order to accept either your mail parcel or storage box. You can probably make arrangements with the Windigo store for simply dropping it off that morning at a designated location. I'm sure you will be able to work it out with them.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
ericcharette
NewbieCake

Post by ericcharette »

I appreciate the feedback Ed, but I don't want to have to pack up tent, and gear and mail it (35 pounds) Plus my dad said that he really wants to take the V2 along the eastern shoreline back down there so he can see more of the Island. So it is worth the $62 * 2 people to get back down there.

I am leaving on foot around 5am from Windigo, so I plan to have things packed up when I leave. I am hoping to pal up with someone the night before who will do whatever it is that is needed to have it stored at Windgo before my return two days later. I haven't called Rock Harbor Lodge yet to see what steps are required to have something stored temporarily at Windigo but it can't be too difficult.
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

You are on a tight schedule, You may run into delays because of the weather (the Voyager, the Queen, The Seaplane not being able to get to the island or leave). Just a thought.
ericcharette
NewbieCake

Post by ericcharette »

Thanks all for your help! I made my official plans today and announced my intent formally.

http://ericcharette.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... l-fkt.html

Day 0 - Mon July 9
* Drive to Houghton
* Fly to Windigo via sea plane
* Camp at Windigo.

Day 1 - Tues July 10
* Pack up gear and have someone store it for me until Thursay
* Run 40.1 miles from Windigo along Greenstone Ridge Trail to northern terminus at Lookout Louise trail connector
* (crew taking the Isle Royale Queen departing Copper Harbor at 8:00am eastern and arriving at Rock Harbor at 11:00am central)
* (crew taking a canoe and paddling across Tobin Harbor to Hidden Lake and hiking up to meet me at the finish)
* (crew taking me back across Tobin Harbor to Rock Harbor via canoe)
* Staying at Rock Harbor Cabin

Day 2 - Wed July 11
* Free day of hiking, fishing with my dad (crew) on his birthday
* Staying at Rock Harbor Cabin

Day 3 - Thurs July 12
* Depart Rock Harbor at 8:00am central via Voyageur 2
* Arrive Windigo at 12:30pm central to pick up gear stored
* Fly from Windigo back to Houghton via seaplane (for me and my crew) at 3pm
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

Eric, I've been watching this thread with great interest...this sounds like an amazing feat, and a great trip, too. I wish you the best of luck on your journey, and would really appreciate any updates before AND after you complete your run. I have a friend who wants to attempt this same thing, so hopefully you'll provide some motivation!

Have fun fishing with your dad...what a cool endeavor for you two to take on, and what an awesome birthday present!

Also, if you share your adventure here on the forums, there's a lot if people who well be able to vouch for your FKT and document it in the annals of history! :-)

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk 2
IRR
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 25

Post by IRR »

Hi Eric, I hope your plans are still in order for next month. Add me to the list of people interested to know how it goes. This same run has been a temptation of mine for a couple of years now. I've logged hundreds of miles on the trails up there, but never the entire GRT. My father actually attempted it back in the 80's, he was a sub 2:50 marathoner at the time. He started at Windigo and simply ran out of gas and had to crash at Daisy Farm. Anyway, best of luck!
ericcharette
NewbieCake

Post by ericcharette »

Thanks IRR and fonixmunkee. Training has been coming along well... worked up to 90 mile weeks with just a few more weeks of training to go. I've been training in the heat of Alabama so anything cooler in Michigan will be a blessing. The excitement is building but I am trying to keep it all in check for now. Spare time is spent studying the trail section descriptions and memorizing the climbs, etc. I consider the greatest threats of failure to be that I am attempting this unsupported (fluids, etc), (trail) sight unseen and that it is tied to one specific day (weather issues, etc). Anything I can do to mitigate those can only help!