West end campground suggestion

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

ericcharette
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

West end campground suggestion

Post by ericcharette »

Hello!

I am just making final plans for my end to end run of the Greenstone Ridge Trail (see here for details http://isleroyaleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1894 and am looking at camp grounds after arrival at Windigo. Is there actually a campground there or is the nearest one at Washington Creek? I am impartial either way, just want to know where to go to set up the tent once I get there.

On the day of my hike, I have to pack up my gear and hopefully have talked someone nice into taking my gear to the store/storage locker area for me once they open up (as I am starting my run at 5:30am) so I guess them not having to take it all the way back to Windigo is preferred, unless I bribe them with money!

Thanks!
Gimp
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Re: West end campground suggestion

Post by Gimp »

The Washington Creek shelters and campsites are only about a 10 minute walk from the Windigo buildings. To me it's just all one place.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Re: West end campground suggestion

Post by fonixmunkee »

Eric,

The people at the Windigo store are awfully kind, and if someone could get you the phone number, I have little doubt you could coordinate something with them for an early drop-off. You can try reaching them at this number, and ask for the Windigo store: (906) 337-4993

But to directly answer your question, Washington Creek--chocked full of shelters--is only a 10 minute walk a little northeast of Windigo. So a 10 minute walk is like 20 seconds your-time.