7 Days on Isle Royale... Itinerary Suggestions?

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

MetalMan390
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

7 Days on Isle Royale... Itinerary Suggestions?

Post by MetalMan390 »

I am planning a trip to Isle Royale in late July/early August. I will have 7 days on the island, the first being a half day after arriving at rock harbor at 11:15am, second day I will take the voyager II to windigo from wither rock harbor or another campsite along the voyager's route, and day 7 being a half day, leaving IR from rock harbor at 2:45pm. The rest is up in the air. 40-55 miles is my intended trip length.

I am looking for itinerary suggestions. I really like solitude and want to be around the least amount of people possible, but on the other hand I would like to see the best of Isle Royale. I will learn towards the side of views over solitude if forced to make a choice. I am interested in exploring points of interest along the way such as waterfalls, mines, caves, and anywhere that would make an awesome photo. I just bought a new dslr camera and I'd like come back with some awesome shots. Suggestions for fishing are welcome too as I'm bringing my pole. I'd like to keep the mileage at 10 miles or less per day, but will do more if needed one or two days. Bushwhacking is not out of the question if there is somewhere worth exploring off trail. In fact, I'd really like to hike off trail for a day, but want to end up somewhere that is worth the work. I know that I need to clear this with the rangers when I get my permit, and I've already emailed them asking for a current map/list of areas that are open/closed to off trail hiking. Just waiting to hear back on that.
alecto73
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: 7 Days on Isle Royale... Itinerary Suggestions?

Post by alecto73 »

Sounds to me like a thru-hike on the Minong is calling your name.
|| Jess ||
Redbad
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by Redbad »

I concur with the Minong. While this trail is technical, you will be able to do the activities that you want to do and you will not have a lot of company. There are mines near McCargo Cove and near Todd Harbor (and I suppose near Huginnin Cove as well). There is fishing at McCargo Cove.

Due to terrain, going off trail at ISRO can be dangerous or at a minimum extremely technical, especially along and near the Minong. If you are planning to go off trail, you should study the ISRO topographical map (there is a map in the NatGeo National Park series of ISRO). The State of Michigan Department of Natural Resources (ISRO is in Michigan), has quad maps of the entire state available at http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/1,1607,7-15 ... --,00.html, go to Keewenaw County (the county that ISRO is located in) and go to the special link for Isle Royale. The same maps may be downloaded in complete form from the Michigan section of Libre Map. You may also want to consult Google Earth for a satellite view of where you might plan on going.

Good luck!
MetalMan390
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by MetalMan390 »

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, I did not plan my trip far enough in advance and the Ranger was booked the day I wanted to leave. Instead of changing my dates around I have switched destinations... all the way to Colorado! Going here instead:

http://www.mountainphotographer.com/mar ... pass-loop/

So, once again, I'll have to put this trip off. That's 3 years in a row now.