First boat

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Re: First boat

Post by Tightlines01 »

No weather report from me (or not much). We made it from Grand Rapids MI to just outside of Madison WI when Captian Don called.

Apparently the park service is further restricting his entries/exits to the island. We were no longer were able to leave the island on Thursday like we planned and family ties would prevent us from extending the trip another 3 days to over a week long.

Capt Don mentioned the island got another 8+ inches of snow the other day and parts of the island had knee deep snow yet. He also was only allowed into Daisy Farm and Rock Harbor.

Not sure if anyone was still going but we had to turn around and head home at least we got to start discussing the make up trip later this summer.
treeplanter
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Post by treeplanter »

I was watching the weather radar yesterday (5/2) and it looks like it snowed almost the entire day over some parts of the island. To have knee-deep snow on the ground at this time in May is just amazing. Unless we got a massive warmup (which is not in the forecast), green-up may not happen until June this year.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 19

Post by fonixmunkee »

I just had the pleasure of meeting Mike and NancyT on their way up to Isle Royale. They had heard and saw that it's going to be very wintery conditions for them on the island. But they're ready for in looking forward to the adventure .

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
NancyT
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by NancyT »

The way you put it sounds better but I think we are just plain crazy!

It was nice meeting you Richard. We will see you on the flip side...err...if we survive. Canoe has icicles on it again and we're driving in snow.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

NancyT wrote:The way you put it sounds better but I think we are just plain crazy!

It was nice meeting you Richard. We will see you on the flip side...err...if we survive. Canoe has icicles on it again and we're driving in snow.
So what is your plan given the weather?
I checked the latest MODIS, looks like ice on the inland lakes. The upside, you can use your canoe as a sledge instead of portaging it.!!
Looking forward to the pictures and stories!!
Have a great trip!!
NancyT
Trailblazer

Post by NancyT »

Our plans are up in the air at the moment. We can only get dropped off at Rock Harbor and possibly Daisy. We were originally getting dropped off at Malone. We have to see if any of the shorelines are accessible before venturing out in the canoe.

I'm thinking of renting the Grumman from Capt. Don so the ice doesn't slice through our Kevlar.
Capt Don
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 546

Post by Capt Don »

What a mess today has been. Anyone affected by this please accept my appologies for the time you've wasted, if I could have changed it I would have. We have 8" from Thursday and temps in the 20's today. Talked with maint people on the island this morning only to learn that there is 3-5' of snow on all of the trails that they have seen, how many they have seen I can't say. This is a different type of snow as well, melted and refrozen so very little air in it, more like tiny ice ball bearings that will not support any weight so walking or even snowshoes just fall right through it and you end up waist deep in the crap. There have been no boats to Windigo with little likelyhood of any in there before a week from Wednesday, McCargoe and Chippewa are locked up with fast ice, Malone is too unknown so they said no. I have cancelled Wednesday/Thursday (May8-9) trip due to the uncertainty of places we can get into. It appears we have warming trend coming the beginning of next week, it won't take much to melt it this time of year.
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

My plans in my head right now at least is RH as the others are going to Daisy. Walk out to Scoville in the snow. A fire at the fire ring in Rock Harbor. Paddling to Tookers if possible. Paddling to Three-Mile to see it in the snow. Going to Caribou for a couple of days with Edisen in the snow. Getting picked up at Daisy on Saturday and going to Malone to paddle to Hay Bay and get picked up at Malone on Thursday. We will see and will let you know how it goes.
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

This will make for a very interesting trip report.
Redbad
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by Redbad »

If you are able, please post pictures. It sounds like the conditions on ISRO are unprecedented.

I would also remind folks to stay safe -- no paddling without drysuits, don't attempt rockfaces or exposed rock without crampons if there is any hint of ice, bring a snow shovel to dig out your companions when they sink waist deep in the snow (having had this happen to me I can say that it is difficult to self extricate from waist deep snow with skis or snowshoes on), etc...

Thaw could be spectacular (and smelly: winter kill might be elevated).
NancyT
Trailblazer

Post by NancyT »

I would also remind folks to stay safe -- no paddling without drysuits,
Oops!!
~ISLE ROYALE INFO~
"A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park"
http://www.isleroyale.info
Ernest T Bass
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Ernest T Bass »

Hopefully you had those down pants!
You ain't seen the last of Ernest T Bass!!!
NancyT
Trailblazer

Post by NancyT »

You betcha!! The great thing about down is...it's still warm even when wet. I soaked my sleeping bag once and it still was warm as ever.
~ISLE ROYALE INFO~
"A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park"
http://www.isleroyale.info
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Tightlines01 »

NancyT wrote:You betcha!! The great thing about down is...it's still warm even when wet. I soaked my sleeping bag once and it still was warm as ever.
I haven't tried this but always heard the exact opposite of this. Doesn't Down loose its insulating abilities when wet?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Ernest T Bass
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Ernest T Bass »

That's what I had always thought Tightlines. I have always heard that wool will still keep you warm when wet.
You ain't seen the last of Ernest T Bass!!!