Sargent Lake information

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Redbad
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Sargent Lake information

Post by Redbad »

I am planning an August visit to ISRO with my packraft. I would like to get down to Sargent Lake and I see that getting to the tongue area is not a problem from the Greenstone near the trail that goes to DF. However, I want to then cut over to McCargoe cove without using the outlet creek, which looks to be choked with beaver dams. Anyone with recent experience camping/fishing/boating Sargent Lake (especially anyone who has made the trip to McCargoe cove. Thanks!
honouredamongfoxes
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Re: Sargent Lake information

Post by honouredamongfoxes »

A favorite short hike among my 4 trips to IR, so I have to respond. [Sorry so tardy... haven't been monitoring forum in months...]
I did a McC to the lake (& back) bushwack, in late May, but carried only a day-pack. I stayed in the interior side of the stream valley, high up on the bluffs for the most part, to avoid the tangles and broken rock in the lusher bottoms. It also allowed shortening of the curves, though at a vertical price. With lots of time, this whack could be done, and since it's not too far, you could make 2 trips out of it. Wonderful lake!