Backpacking circumnavigation of IR

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Th3rn
NewbieCake

Backpacking circumnavigation of IR

Post by Th3rn »

So a buddy and I have planned this trip, in 2 weeks, to backpack from RH to Windigo, including the Feldmann loop, and then doing the Minong back and around to RH. This will be our second trip to the island, and we are pretty experienced backpackers on other trails as well. My planning has landed me with the following outline. I know this trip is doable for both of us, however I would like to try and cut down on some of the longer days and even out the trip if possible, figured I would post it and see if anyone had any advice. We definitely want to hit Little Todd and do the Feldmann loop, the rest is up in the air. Backcountry isn't out of the question, I just wasn't sure were to fit it in. Side note, my friend just informed me that he has some work related issues and may not be able to do the trip, in which case there is a chance I will be doing this alone (if that makes a difference). I look forward to hopefully getting some input.

Thanks!

Start - Stop Miles Day# Day of week
Rock Harbor - Daisy Farm - 7.1m day1 Friday
Daisy Farm - Hatchet Lake - 15.4m day2 Saturday
Hatchet Lake - Desor South - 8.1m day3 Sunday
Desor South - Siskiwit Bay - 9.9m day4 Monday
Siskiwit Bay - Feldtman Lake -10.3m day5 Tuesday
Feldtman Lake - Windigo (WC) -8.8m day6 Wednesday
Windigo (WC) - Desor North - 12.6m day7 Thursday
Desor North - Little Todd - 5.7m day8 Friday
Little Todd - McCargoe Cove 13.5m day9 Saturday
Mcargoe Cove - Daisy Farm - 8.2m day10 Sunday
Daisy Farm - Rock Harbor - 7.1m day11 Monday
106.7 total miles HOME - day12 Tuesday
greener
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: Backpacking circumnavigation of IR

Post by greener »

I'd think about hiking the Minong on the 1st 1/2 of your trip since it's considered the harder trail.

When you get to Windigo you can go straight across on the Greenstone or work in the Feldmann loop depending on how you feel..

Either way have fun and be safe!! When will you be on the island?
Th3rn
NewbieCake

Post by Th3rn »

Yea, I am kind of an oddball and I tend to gain stamina and hike better after a few days, once I get my stride. The other guy is just a machine and never tires.

We will be arriving on Friday the 16th on the Ranger3, and departing Wednesday the 28th.
Redbad
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by Redbad »

I would agree with doing the Minong first -- it is much easier to get off the Minong from NLD to Washington Creek than to go from WC to NLD.

Other than that caveat, have fun.
Th3rn
NewbieCake

Post by Th3rn »

Thanks for the tips, sadly I am going to have to plan my circumnavigation for another year, my wife is now insisting that I not do it alone and she wants to come with me on this trip to "try out" backpacking (I usually go on a couple of trips a year as an escape, what am I going to do now?). Anyway, shortening the trip and nerfing it to tiny daily mileage so that she can go :P

/sigh
NancyT
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by NancyT »

Hey now, don't get too disappointed. She may (like me) find she loves it and it becomes a great bonding experience for you two!
~ISLE ROYALE INFO~
"A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park"
http://www.isleroyale.info
Th3rn
NewbieCake

Post by Th3rn »

Yea, kinda what I am afraid of! Don't get me wrong, I love my wife and we've been married for 16 years (we went to prom together), but backpacking has always been my escape from reality. No thinking about my job, responsibilities, the kids, the bills... just the weather, how many miles left to go, and what's on the menu! I was also really looking forward to the circumnavigation too. Ah well, it will happen some day.