Planning our first visit

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

frdm02
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Planning our first visit

Post by frdm02 »

I am working on planning our first visit to the island. I have been backpacking for many years my girlfriend has never gone and is leery. It will just be the two of us near the end of the season we will be on the island 9/22 to 9/26. I want to be able to see a bit of the island yet keep the pace easy and fun for a first time backpacker. Is this a reasonable itinerary. Arrive at rock harbor, hike to three mile and camp for night one. Hike to daisy farm on day two via the Greenstone and mt. objibiway. Moskey basin on day three. Day 4 return to three mile. Hike from 3 mile to rock harbor on Friday for the return ferry at 2:45

Feedback and or better alternatives are most welcome

as a side note, I am planning to leave the packs at Moskey and hike to lake Richie on day 3 as it is such a short hike daisy farm to Moskey.
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Re: Planning our first visit

Post by Tightlines01 »

Your route is very doable. The toughest day would be 3 mile to Daisy via greenstone. The hike up to Mt Franklin can be a bit tough as it's steep and you'll feel the weight of the packs. Don't stop at the top of the greenstone, the hike to Mt Franklin is only about .3 miles once you make the Lane Cove junction. The view from MT franklin is quite awesome and makes a great place to rest.

Moskey is a fabulous spot to spend a day, I would hang out there instead of a quick out and back to Lake Ritchie.

FYI the trail from Moskey to Daisy is tougher than you would think. Lots of tough footing and wierd angles for your ankles.

Overall a good itinerary, but the time of year could be very cold especially at night. Bring warm clothes then.

Enjoy
Andy
frdm02
NewbieCake

Post by frdm02 »

Andy,

Thank you for the feedback. We will make sure and take in Mt Franklin and a rest on it as you suggested. I have taken Nina hiking with me in the Porkies in late September, early October (but rented a cabin in silver city to sleep in) and explained I suspect Isle Royal may be a bit colder than the nights in the porkies so she is prepared for the weather mentally; and I am taking care of having her geared up with thermals and such. After punishing her on the day 2 hike I do like the advice of enjoying the day at Moskey. I want her to love the backpacking experience and easy beauty filled days are key to that. Also thanks in advance for the info on the DF to Moskey trail. In viewing it on a 24k topo it looks so flat and simple knowing real world what the trail looks like is great info.

Happy trails

Dave
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the IR Forum. There is a lot of good info and helpful people here willing to share their experience and advice. Your trip looks fine and very doable. You'll be visiting some of the more populous campsites, but at that time of the year, the crowds are gone.

I would suggest you make sure to outfit your girlfriend with a warm sleeping bag and boots that are broken in. Your late September visit could be rather chilly. If you move your trip up, you could experience swimming in Lake Superior and sun bathing on the rocks.

Like Andy pointed out, the day you go from 3M to DF will be your toughest. I suggest you evaluate how she does on the RH to 3M leg. By going up to the Greenstone and back down, you've taken a 4.2 mile trip and turned it into 6.5. Doable for experienced hikers, but may be troublesome for a newbie. Moskey Basin is a great camp, probably one of my favorites. You have a good chance of seeing a moose at 3M. I think they like the people and feel safe there.

I would suggest reposting again next year when more people are on and using the forum. In the mean time, look through all the postings. There is a lot of good advice shared here.

On a personal note, you should reward your girlfriend with a stay at a nice Motel on the way home. The Best Western in Houghton is within walking distance of "The Library", a great restaurant featuring great steaks and microbrews.

Good luck.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR

Post by Tightlines01 »

Good tip about the after island reward Phil. After reading it I immediately thought of eating a pizza on the deck (from the pizza joint next door) at Keewanaw Brewing drinking a cold beer. THATS the way to finish off the trip (along with a hot shower).
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Welcome Dave (frdm02),

While your planned itinerary is not too difficult, you have several options available should anyone decide it is becoming too difficult to "press on". The eastern end of the island has enough camp grounds that rearranging your itinerary on a day to day basis can be done. Plus after Labor Day the maximum overnight stay limits (per camp ground) are lifted making your choices even more flexible.

I always tell people that a trip to The Island is not complete without a trip up to the Greenstone Ridge (on a nice sunny day hopefully). The views are breathtaking. If you do miss it there is always next time and if you are like many visitors, you will be back.

I am probably biased since I used to live above the old Library Bar, before it burned down some years ago, but the best local food in town now has to be at the Ambassador Lounge, right near the foot of the bridge. They have great views, not to mention fabulous pizza and sandwiches.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
zims
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by zims »

Hello and welcome!
May I suggest a great itinerary for you to think about. First I agree that you will need warm sleeping bags. The weather is very unpredictable, you can't put it on if you don't have it, and once your cold its hard to warm up.
So My idea of a great first trip:
rock harbor to Daisy farm 7.1 miles
Daisy farm to West Chickenbone (passing Moskey Basin and Lake Richie) 7.9
(once at West Chickenbone if your not too tired, take the hike out to Mccargoe Cove.
West Chickenbone up to the Greenstone and depending on how you feel, pop down to Daisy farm again or continue on via the greenstone to three mile (7.9 or 12.5)
From either last stop, carry on to Rock harbor and make camp. This will allow you to venture out on scoville point and make the loop walk.
I know this all seems like a horrendous long trip for the first time, but you will have plenty of time during the day to change your mind if you wanted and still get to a campground at night.
All of these places have their own uniqueness to them and you will be suprised at the seclusion. Whichever trails you choose, you will enjoy.
Pack light and hike long!
frdm02
NewbieCake

Post by frdm02 »

zims, thank you for the input. I am going to add that itinerary as options into my GPS trip file, and like you said we can play it by ear based on the weather and how Nina is feeing about the venture.

Another question I had not even considered. Can we depend on finding a shelter at that time of year and shed the weight of tents? A friend of mine is now contemplating flying in from Idaho to join us on the trip and he mentioned the idea of tent free because it is so late season and the park offers shelters......I'm leery, while Nina and I camp under the stars very regular on our kayak trips we never do it so late in the season, I don't want to risk be caught no shelter and no ten. thoughts?
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Post by Ingo »

frdm02 wrote:Another question I had not even considered. Can we depend on finding a shelter at that time of year and shed the weight of tents? A friend of mine is now contemplating flying in from Idaho to join us on the trip and he mentioned the idea of tent free because it is so late season and the park offers shelters......I'm leery, while Nina and I camp under the stars very regular on our kayak trips we never do it so late in the season, I don't want to risk be caught no shelter and no ten. thoughts?
I've never gone that late in the season, but personally I wouldn't ever consider not taking a tent. It's just not worth the risk to me. Also, if it does turn rather cold or windy, a tent will be significantly warmer than a shelter--some folks have been known to pitch a tent inside for warmth. I bring a tarp that I can string up inside as a wind block, and that has been a savior at times, even in the middle of the summer.
24: MI-MB-MI, 22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-TM-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

I'm with Ingo on the tent. I would never go that time of year (which is the time I always go) without a tent. A tarp for the front is also a lifesaver. I always set up a tent inside. It can be quite windy and possibly cold and a tent is a lifesaver. A tarp will allow you to sit in the shelter against a wall if it is windy. The coldest night I ever spent on the island was in a shelter without a tent.

Itinerary looks fine. As others have said, be ready to adjust it based on how you both are doing. There are a lot of options.
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR

Post by Tightlines01 »

I've only gone without a tent one time (early September. With that said, I did have a Kelty Noah's 12 Tarp. I figured the bugs would be lighter (they were) and I had plenty of coverage for storms. The one night it rained I A framed the tarp over a ridge line to stay dry.

What ever you do make sure you have plenty of safe dry area in case of storms. Personally I'd never go without some form of tent/tarp. You never know if an emergency might pop up and you need it.

Andy
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

MikeT wrote:The coldest night I ever spent on the island was in a shelter without a tent.
Ditto on that. My coldest shelter memory was at Chippewa Harbor in late September. It started with a boiling pot containing 2 quarts of water sitting next to my head when I went to sleep. When I awoke it was frozen solid.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
zims
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by zims »

Hi Again, the tent issue should be taken seriously, on the island it is not like the mainland. Bad weather pops up out of nowhere all the time. I know your not supposed to put tents in shelters but sometimes it is a matter of possible hyperthermia. We carry a 8x8 lightweight blue tarp and carry a few extra bungie cords for this reason there are nails in most of all the shelters from previous campers, use these as anchor points.. If need be we have hung the tarp over screen part in shelter and then put the tent up and all squeezed together to stay warm. May I suggest a 3 person tent and each of you take a part to carry. Choose to use or not to, but you will have it should the need arise. and make sure you include a couple of those small emergency foil blankets for just in case..trust me. Been there done that.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

zims wrote: I know your not supposed to put tents in shelters....
To clarify, according to the Superintendent's Compendium, it's perfectly acceptable to put up free-standing tents inside shelters. You're just not permitted to put a tent up, outside, at a shelter site. Like noted, some shelters have hooks to hang things, others do not. There doesn't seem to be a standard for this, but those that there there tend to look like they are installed by the NPS. Also, there are random nails, like Zims notes. Typically there are enough points to tie off a tarp or your rain fly. If you can stop that wind, you're half way there.
I'll agree with the others on your route. Very doable; but don't underestimate the burn you might feel in your legs...
frdm02
NewbieCake

Post by frdm02 »

thanks for all the tent feedback, I was leery on that idea and now that I have the map and trails book I see chickenbone west has no shelters any how and we want to keep options open. We never travel without basic tarp and trekking poles to weather some rain but in late september I cant imagine not having a decent tent, I told my friend picture this trip lie heading into frank church in september, he said never with out a tent so that closed the discussion for him too