Bushwacking From Lookout Louise to Blake Point

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

tinman
NewbieCake

Re: Bushwacking From Lookout Louise to Blake Point

Post by tinman »

Sunsetman.....what month (s) of the season did you make these trips? I've read on the forum the earlier the better.
sunsetman
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 25

Post by sunsetman »

One in June and once in late August.
I've buckwacked in quite a few areas of the island.
tinman
NewbieCake

Post by tinman »

Thanks for the reply. Do you recall the length of time it took you to complete the bushwack? This would really help me out. I assume you had a full pack....?
sunsetman
NewbieCake

Post by sunsetman »

Slow going. Once with full pack as we were on the way to Lane Cove. Left packs have way there and picked them up on the way back.
Consider 4 ish miles at a mile in an hour to a mile and a half an hour. Then there was lunch at the end and breaks to exp;ore crevices and craigs of rock.
Wear long pants.
Someday explore the Stanley Ridge. From Lane Cove to McCargoe Cove.
Nym90
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by Nym90 »

A Lookout Louse-to-Blake Point extension of the Greenstone Ridge trail would be a fabulous addition to the park, especially if a connecting trail to the Merritt Lane campground could be constructed (along with an expansion of the campground to accomodate the hikers, but I'm getting ahead of myself). I have no idea how feasible such a connecting trail to Merritt Lane would be, but a Greenstone extension doesn't appear from topos or satellite imagery that it would be any more difficult to construct than the rest of the Greenstone trail was.

Given the fact that NPS budgets are being reduced rather than expanded, this is probably extremely unlikely in the near future, but we can dream. The Stanley Ridge also, by all appearances, would be another good place for a trail; sort of an extension of the Minong Ridge Trail.
sunsetman
NewbieCake

Post by sunsetman »

Perhaps. But it's also good to leave some areas of the island without trails and therefore less used. It gives you and me and others the opportunity to explore different places of the island that the average person would never consider venturing into because of the lack of a trail.
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

Agree on that! 8)

Leave the wilderness wild. :)
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
Nym90
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by Nym90 »

That's true, and there is certainly value in discouraging all but the most committed explorers from venturing into some areas by not constructing a trail. Perhaps the decision to eschew building one here initially was indeed for such reasons, as opposed to lacking the necessary human or financial resources.
sunsetman
NewbieCake

Post by sunsetman »

There are many options when going off trail. While none of it's easy you never know what you'll see.
It requires a good topo map and at times a compass and long pants and shirt and a plan of where you're headed well scoped out ahead of time. Easiest without a pack but I usually go with pack. Try Blake Pointe first and each time explore something a little more strenous and adventureous. I can share areas with you if you're interested.
manumuskin
NewbieCake

Post by manumuskin »

I agree with you Sunsetman on the wisdom of leaving some areas trailess. veteran bushwacker of the pine barrens and swamps of NJ and the bigger swamps of the south and mts. of WV.Have been wanting to get to Isle Royale for years now and I am up to two weeks vacation now so have the time to make the drive worth it.
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

In the Lookout Louise area, where is a good place to do a one night camp?
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator

Post by IncaRoads »

jerry wrote:In the Lookout Louise area, where is a good place to do a one night camp?
LeftOvers commented earlier in this thread…
LeftOvers wrote:I got permission for a night of backcountry camping beyond Lookout Louise a few years ago. It was far from the most rewarding off-trail hike I've had on IR. Dense old woods, rough terrain, no views, little to recommend it in my mind.

I slept in my hammock but there weren't many (any?) spots to put a tent.
I strongly concur with LeftOvers comments, as I did a backcountry camp in the Lookout Louise area a couple of years ago. Hard to find a place to pitch my 1-person tent; ended up going tent-less that night. I would also add that unless you are willing to do a dry camp (cook/clean without with minimal or no water), it is a long way to a water source.
jerry
IR Expert

Post by jerry »

Thanks IncaRoads for the quick response. I can understand LeftOvers comments. When I was at Lookout Louise years ago, going east of there looked like a challenge. Would there be any place just west of that area that would be appropriate? I know that means at least a hike down to the dock at Tobin Harbor (a mile or more one way) to get more water.
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator

Post by IncaRoads »

Jerry, I couldn't really say. It may be hard to meet the NPS rules/regulations in that area, especially the one stating that your backcountry camp must be 1/4 mile away from any trail. I would peruse the topos and satellite/aerial maps for possibilities.