Trip plan for Minong trail

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

zims
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Re: Trip plan for Minong trail

Post by zims »

Hey Tree Rat!! glad to see you guys are coming back!! I wont be on the island till end of June this year, Im bringing new blood in. We are going to do the infamous east end looping. I dream of doing the minong. Will be waiting your trip report!! Pics please! hike on!
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Hi Zims, good to hear from ya!New blood ya say,very cool.Be careful how loud ya say blood though........I just killed my first nortwoods Mosquito yesterday!I will deffinately throw on a trip report when I get back....hope I can figure out how to do the pics.
3 generations on the island and my daughters first National park!I am pretty psyched up.Spring training, so far so good!Hopefully we can hit the Ice age trail this weekend, need to proof some new gear. Deffinately be one for the books.Have fun on your run....I know you will.May the skeeds be kind!!!Glad to see you are bringing new faces! As we all know Isle royal sure gets in the blood, and not everyone is willing to try something new...but what an experience!:grin:

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Thanks everyone for the help......
Last edited by tree rattt on Fri May 23, 2014 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
statsman4
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by statsman4 »

Thanks for starting this post Tree Ratt. Looks like a group of us are going to give the Minong a shot (starting from Windigo) if we can get to the island on May 17th. If I am reading the threads correctly......is it safe to assume the following?

Ankle high gaiters should suffice as no serious wading
The segment between Desor and Little Todd is a brute.......especially when wet
Hiking poles HIGHLY recommended
Trail eases up in difficulty after Little Todd.....but still tough

Now the question I am really looking forward to receiving feedback on. :D

Four experienced backpackers in their mid 40s leave Windigo at 10:00 a.m. on Saturday. What are the chances they could be in Rock Harbor on Monday night provided they are in good physical condition, traveling light, and willing to put in long hours of hiking?

Don't hold back!
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Trip plan for Minong trail

Post by Tightlines01 »

Could be done in 3 day. NOT saying I'd do it but to each their own. If you want to hike 15+ miles a day it could be done.

Night 1 N Desor
Night 2 west Chickenbone
Night 3 Rock.

Better be in good shape, plan LONG days hiking and have a backup plan in case someone pulls up lame which could happen.
statsman4
NewbieCake

Post by statsman4 »

Thanks......we are definitely willing to slow down if it is too much. Brings up another question though. If something did happen, is it possible to be picked up at McCargoe Cove or do you HAVE to be picked up at the destination you sign up for.....in this case RH?
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Tightlines01 »

Pickup at somewhere like McCargoe depends...

The Voyager from MN will pick up and drop off on its way around the island. Keep in mind that if no one is SCHEDULED to be picked up or dropped off that day they likely will not come into McCargoe Cove.

McCargoe is a popular campground and I believe the park service checks in there most days but can not garuntee it. There used to be a ranger station not far from McCargoe but it was not staffed last year due to the sequester. I do t know if it'll be stationed this year or not. Another POSSIBILITY (don't rely on it) is a boat at McCargoe. They wod likely have a marine radio to contact the park service to let them know you need assistance.

What it'll likely come down to (if you need to) is lots of waiting at the dock and some luck.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Hey, yer welcome! Just a thought on the emergency out plan.small hand held marine radio? I know they aren' t supposed to be used from land, but hey in an emergency.Borrow one if possible or buy one ...most also have weather band as well.They do have limited range though and cost around 130 +. Long shot suggestion, but just a thought.

You got me thinking though! So thanks for that! A few edits on my trip, a few days is better than no days. ;)

Light an fast, sounds like a good trip.Good luck!

My cobra adds an extra 1.25 pounds.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

One additional note on the Voyager's schedule. Even if the Voyager II just happens to make a stop where you are, there is no guarantee there would be room for you. The Coast Guard is a real stickler on their regulations for maximum number of passengers. A real emergency situation would of course change things.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Lucky Chicken »

Another think to keep in mind... there could still be ice in McCargoe cove. I believe the Voyager dosent use the north route until conditions improve... or is that just in the fall? Either way I wouldnt count on a pickup there. Moskey or Chippewa could be options for getting picked up too.
statsman4
NewbieCake

Post by statsman4 »

This is all very helpful. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond.

Four days and a wake up!
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Lucky Chicken wrote:Moskey or Chippewa could be options for getting picked up too.
The Voyager II does not go into Moskey Basin, although the concession operated water taxi does.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

The v2 can stop at Daisy Farm if scheduled at their website.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Any suggestions for wolf/ moose viewing along the Minong? And how is the camp fox situation, any good spots to see them?
Redbad
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by Redbad »

Camp fox situation on the Minong: I never had an issue with foxes in camp, but they were present and visible on the trail.

Moose: there is a camp moose in the Washington Creek campground. You will also see plenty of moose sign along the Minong and possibly a moose or 2. Be VERY careful if you do come across a moose!

Wolves: only a few people catch a glimpse of wolves every year. Wolves generally stay away from humans.