Rangers with guns

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

zims
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Rangers with guns

Post by zims »

I have visited the island many times over the last 10 years, and this last year I ran into a ranger "cop" with a pistol. I do not remember in years past rangers carrying. Is there something we should know about? I understand the chance of a remote island having visitors that could cause problems, but I was not aware there were rangers walking around with loaded guns. In all reality there are no bears to worry about, moose and wolves stay pretty much to themselves, and hikers keep to the trails. Does anyone else find this questionable?
RockRiver
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: Rangers with guns

Post by RockRiver »

I believe that they are Park Police, the same as you would find on the National Mall in Washington DC. They are actually federal law enforcement agents. Most federal agencies have a law enforcement arm, Forest Service, ATF, EPA, etc. All National Parks have their quota of Park Police. They are not exactly what people think of as rangers.
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Lucky Chicken »

Agree with rockriver... and they have been a part of the park service for many many years. All a part of keeping the parks and the people safe.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

When I worked at R.H. in '79 there was only 1 ranger on the island that carried, but that has increased over the years. My impression is that it has more to do with NPS policy as whole than anything about I.R. in particular. Also, I.R. is an entry point into the U.S.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

In 2010 at the end of August/early September, three young hikers were arrested at Daisy Farm for having drugs with them. The night before that, one of them caused a search party of rangers and volunteers to look for one that got lost in the woods nearby. I felt that they never seemed to give the rangers a problem after that, but I guess the weapons are a requirement for law enforcement.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

At the risk of getting too political I will simply note that, there has always been a minimal law enforcement presence on the Island (working essentially as rangers), but since 9/11 and in particular since the creation of the Department of Homeland Security there have been large sums of money made available as grants to all Federal Cabinet level departments, encouraging them to increase their law enforcement presence. This is why, in my opinion, there has been increases in all National Parks with some additional rangers now also licensed as federal law enforcement agents (meaning they must carry a firearm). It's not just the Dept. of Interior. For example, the Department of Agriculture now has its own SWAT team.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

At least the Rangers are there to keep the peace. What about those that carry illegal, concealed firearms.I mention this because I have seen people carrying that werent rangers, in other parks.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

tree rattt wrote:At least the Rangers are there to keep the peace. What about those that carry illegal, concealed firearms.I mention this because I have seen people carrying that werent rangers, in other parks.
If one can legally carry a concealed firearm in Michigan then you can legally carry (concealed) in Isle Royale National Park (except for certain federal facilities, i.e. buildings), although there is one great big caveat. That caveat is getting your weapon TO the Island. All the commercial carriers including the 3 ferries, seaplane and the NPS ferry Ranger III all prohibit the transportation of any firearms unless you obtain prior approval from the Master of the Vessel to bring aboard an unloaded and inaccessible firearm. Arriving by private boat would solve the transportation issue but there are still places on the Island where carrying in prohibited. Openly carrying would also be illegal since it is against Michigan law. Michigan has complete reciprocity with all other States that issue permits for concealed carry.

Isle Royale NPS policies:
http://www.nps.gov/isro/parkmgmt/lawsandpolicies.htm

Q&A FAQ for all NPS parks:
http://www.nps.gov/appa/parkmgmt/questi ... nswers.htm

In general, national park visitors must comply first with all firearm laws for the state in which the park is located, then any federal laws and special restrictions a particular park may impose. If you observe a weapon I would not assume it is illegal. Unless the state permits open carry then that person may have violated the law by allowing it to even momentarily become visible.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
RockRiver
NewbieCake

Post by RockRiver »

I live in Michigan and in it is legal to open carry while you are in the woods or other areas. There are local ordinances prohibiting it in many municipalities. Not legal to carry concealed or open in governmental buildings, airports, etc. CPL holders may carry anywhere in accordance with the restrictions of the law including national parks. Anyone else carrying a firearm, bow, crossbow and slingshot, must have at least a small game hunting license if they are in an area where game may be present. As a resident of the UP I generally carry when I am in the woods, except on IR. I view the probability of needing a weapon on IR as so very low that it is not worth the trouble of having it along.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Wow, very interesting info.I carry In Wisconsin where I am from any time I am in the pickers. I guess I thought that there was a complete and absolute restriction on firearms on the island as well as all National parks. S o you are likely correct that my assumption of the arms I saw being illegal was false.

We have a lot of bear and wolves in my home location. I consider a pistol nescessarry gear when hiking locally. I have needed it for reasons other than hunting.They scare bears away pretty slick! The wolves I am not concerned with. It does add a level of security I rather appreciate.

When hiking in Michigan in the Porkies, Grand Island and the like ....basically bear country I always feel naked without a little extra protection.I tend to sleep with one eye open. It is just the way I was brought up.So basically I geuss if I could carry legally, I probably would. Not knowing out of state laws, I dont want the risk. So a quick question then.If I have a concealed carry permit in Wisconsin......I can carry in Michigan? Of course following the above mentioned restrictions.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

I am not a lawyer and you should do your own research, but I believe Michigan honors your Wisconsin permit. They honor Indiana's license. You need to be aware of Michigan's laws though. No go zones, acceptable method of carry, etc.. vary by state.

Useful link to use as a starting point before final confirmation. http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry ... _maps.html

Unless this has changed, it is legal to carry in a national park. However, discharge of the firearm is illegal and logistics pose an issue. For example, flying into SFO and then transporting your pistol to Yosemite will cause big problems.

http://www.nps.gov/appa/parkmgmt/questi ... nswers.htm
RockRiver
NewbieCake

Post by RockRiver »

Tree Ratt, the Michigan Sate Police is the best place to find out how to comply with the cpl law in Michigan. Here is the link:

http://mich.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1591_3 ... --,00.html

The last topic on this list is on reciprocity. I think that you will find everything that you need to know on the MSP website.

I live about 20 miles from Grand Island and I usually carry my pistol there. So many bears that they had to close the island to camping last summer until they trapped a bunch of them and relocated them to the mainland.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Interesting, thanks for the info. I need a good research project.

My sister tried the Grand island trip last summer .She saved me some dissapointment for sure,I was headed up the following week :) . Hope it is open this year.

I know when I saw a ranger that was packing it kinda gave me a good chuckle.My first thought was what a nasty thing to cart around Isle Royale for no practical purpose...other than being part of the required gear.To me police service belts always looked horribly uncomfortable, the kinda thing that you just cant wait to drop at the end of the day. Of course there is always the looking cool factor ;) .
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

The duty belt makes my back hurt just thinking about it. I can't imagine wearing that around all day or sitting in a chair or car with it on.
LeftOvers
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by LeftOvers »

I was surprised to see a ranger with a gun a few years ago, too, and asked about it. They are considered customs agents/border guards since people come from Canada as well as U.S. With 9/11, they now carry guns.