Trip suggestions for end of September.

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

fargodog
NewbieCake

Trip suggestions for end of September.

Post by fargodog »

I'm planning a trip to Isle Royale leaving from Grand Portage on September 25th. I will need to return to Grand Portage on Thursday the 29th. Curious to know what routes folks would recommend.

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to being a part of the community.

Heidi
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Trip suggestions for end of September.

Post by IncaRoads »

Welcome to the Isle Royale Forums. You did not mention your experience level and/or physical conditioning.
JerryB
May actually live on IR

Post by JerryB »

Welcome!

To maximize your time on the island, consider the Feldtmann Loop. You can either stay at Island Mine (might be beautiful colors then, but be sure the creek is running) or tack on Hugginin Cove. It is a great route and will give you some wonderful views and camp sites.
fargodog
NewbieCake

Post by fargodog »

IncaRoads wrote:Welcome to the Isle Royale Forums. You did not mention your experience level and/or physical conditioning.
I will be hiking with one other person. Both of us are experienced backpackers but neither of us have been to Isle Royale.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Like Jerry, I think the Feldtmann Loop is the obvious choice. The only other practical option, since you'll have to start from Windigo, would be Windigo to Rock Harbor on the Greenstone--that would be more aggressive, but doable. Personally, the Feldtmann Loop is on my to do list, but somehow I usually end up paddling.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
fargodog
NewbieCake

Post by fargodog »

The ferry doesn't continue to Rock Harbor?
JerryB
May actually live on IR

Post by JerryB »

I would definitely prefer the Feldtmann Loop to the full Greenstone trip. Just my preference.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

fargodog wrote:The ferry doesn't continue to Rock Harbor?
That time of year they run a reduced schedule. On weekends they just go to/from Windigo. From their website http://isleroyaleboats.com/schedule.asp:
"September 21, 2016 - October 6, 2016: Outbound trips to island on Wednesday; Inbound trips from island on Thursday; Saturdays and Sundays back and forth to Windigo each day and depart Grand Portage at 8am and Windigo at 1pm."
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
fargodog
NewbieCake

Post by fargodog »

Ingo wrote:
fargodog wrote:The ferry doesn't continue to Rock Harbor?
That time of year they run a reduced schedule. On weekends they just go to/from Windigo. From their website http://isleroyaleboats.com/schedule.asp:
"September 21, 2016 - October 6, 2016: Outbound trips to island on Wednesday; Inbound trips from island on Thursday; Saturdays and Sundays back and forth to Windigo each day and depart Grand Portage at 8am and Windigo at 1pm."
Thanks for the heads up.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

Another vote for the Feldtmann Loop, with a side trip to Rainbow Cove for a sunset.
fargodog
NewbieCake

Post by fargodog »

hooky wrote:Another vote for the Feldtmann Loop, with a side trip to Rainbow Cove for a sunset.
Thanks for the suggestion. Im going to look into this Rainbow Cove, sounds very nice.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

fargodog wrote:
hooky wrote:Another vote for the Feldtmann Loop, with a side trip to Rainbow Cove for a sunset.
Thanks for the suggestion. Im going to look into this Rainbow Cove, sounds very nice.
You're welcome. It's just a little spur trail from Feldtmann Lake. Flat and a quick hike without a pack.

jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

hooky wrote:
fargodog wrote:
You're welcome. It's just a little spur trail from Feldtmann Lake. Flat and a quick hike without a pack.
The best place for raspberries in late August/early September. IMHO, YMMV.
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
fargodog
NewbieCake

Post by fargodog »

jrwiesz wrote:
hooky wrote:
fargodog wrote:
The best place for raspberries in late August/early September. IMHO, YMMV.

Uff-Da!
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

If you walk along the beach pay attention to the location where you entered the cove. Depending on the state of the vegetation, it can be difficult to find the trail head.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013