2009 Trip Log - Add your planned itinerary here!

Reports or links to reports on trips.

Moderator: Tom

colvinch
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Re: 2009 Trip Log - Add your planned itinerary here!

Post by colvinch »

Name: Chris
Email: colvinch@msu.edu
Hometown: Haslett, MI
Arrival Date: Late July have to nail this down but probably July 28
Departure Date: August 3
Coming From/Via: Copper Harbor
Itinerary: Not yet set in stone but here is what I planned out yesterday
Day 1: CH to RH
Then Water Taxi to Chippewa Harbor
Either stay here or Lake Whittlesey.
Day 2: Portage to Lake Richey
Day 3: Fishing on Lake Richey
Day 4: Portage to Chickenbone or BIRCH Isle (what campground do you suggest)
Day 5: Lane Cove
Day 6: Rain Day...this means we can stay at either Chickenbone and Belle Isle a day
Day 7:RH to CH
Day 8:Wishing we were back at IRSO
Notes/Other:Any suggestions or ideas are welcome.

We did the inner lakes route last year and only stayed at Richey for a day and the McCargo for a day, I will gladly pay $$$ to not do the Moskey to Lake Richey portage.

Looking forward to Trip #2

Thanks

Chris
Last edited by colvinch on Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moss13
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by moss13 »

I loved Lake Whittlesey. I liked all the birch trees near the campground. I also liked the fact that there was some nice reading material info about the loons on Whittlesey while I was sitting on the thunderbox in the outhouse. :shock:

I would choose Belle Isle over Chickenbone. I have not been on Belle Isle yet but hear great things about it. I plan to camp there this summer.
"The Island Is Calling"
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Chris, Lake Richie to Belle Isle is a pretty good day (longer than I'd plan, at least). I'd plan to go at least to McCargoe and play it by ear from there--you have the options of Birch Island (if it's not occupied by boaters), and Pickeral Cove if Belle Isle seems too far. If you make Belle Isle, you have a very short paddle the next day to Lane Cove. All that said, Belle Isle is my favorite :), but I haven't done Birch Island or Pickeral Cove.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Chris, don't be in a hurry to paddle through Wood Lake, some good fishing there.

I agree with Ingo, Richie to Belle is a long day. I like Birch Isle, however boaters like it also.
Pickerel Cove is nice, I have not camped there, but paddled through a few times. It would be a nice spot to stay.
Belle Isle is nice, usually a few boaters there. Nice place to base out of for a few days.
Fishing in Pickerel Cove is good as well as the bay behind Birch Isle.
colvinch
LNT Expert

Post by colvinch »

My bad...I meant to say Birch not Belle.
Last summer we stayed at McCargo not realizing that it can take an hour to paddle to indian point. When we left Mccargo bright and early and the lake was a mirror, when we got to Indian point we had 3 foot rollers hitting the reef....much fun indeed.
We want to stay closer to that spot due to the weather that can kick up, would miss the Moose sightings at the cove but am more worried about safety than wildlife.

Thanks for the input, will have to consider staying down on those southern lakes longer, like to cover alot of ground but I don't want to be moving everyday again. What kind of fishing in Pickeral? That was a really neat spot and would love to stay there, very isolated
Nick
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by Nick »

Name: Nick
Email: (at) Plainwelllaw at cs.com
Hometown: Plainwell, MI in the Winter/DeTour Village, MI in Summer
Arrival Date: May 9th
Departure Date: May 24th
Coming From/Via: VII/Grand Portage
Itinerary: Depending on the wind and my whims, either Windigo to Malone to Rock Harbor or Windigo to McCargo to Rock. Or, I might base camp for the full time or some part thereof. The wind will be a big factor: Nor'Westers, Nor'Easters, or JohnHers (the biggest windbag of all) will determine what I do.
Notes/Other:
tonydeardorff
NewbieCake

Post by tonydeardorff »

First time poster and complete and utter amatures...any insight would be greatly appreciated!!!

Name: Tony and Kim Deardorff (Father and Son trip)
Email: (at) tonydeardorff@sbcglobal.net
Hometown: Lake Odessa, MI
Arrival Date: Sunday Aug. 2nd
Departure Date: Saturday Aug. 8th
Coming From/Via: Copper Harbor
Itinerary:
Aug 2: CH to RH and RH to Lane Cove (Is this doable...trying to avoid crouds)
Aug 3: Lane Cove to Daisy Farm
Aug 4: Daisy Farm to McCargo Cove
Aug 5: McCargo Cove to Lake Richie
Aug 6: Lake Richie to Daisy Farm
Aug 7: Daisy Farm to Three Mile (Time for Exploration)
Aug 8: Three Mile to RH (Some time to explore before the boat)
Notes/Other:
This is our first time to the island so tbis itinerary is very fluid and can and probably will be modified. Suggestion??? Also, I have a million questions but here is what is on the top of my head.
1. Is it worth briniging a small pocket fishing pole? Could we catch enough to eat at any of the places we are going?
2. Best food options. Right now we are planning to bring: Oatmeal, powerbars, trail mix, Couscous,and mostly packeged freesed dried meals. Gander Mountain has a fair selection.
3. I am a bird lover...what might I see?

I am certain that I will think of more later.

Thank you in advance
Tony
Isle Royale Rob
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Isle Royale Rob »

Yes I would bring a fishing pole! Something with a little backbone to it! Try the shoreline around McCargoe cove and Lake Ritchie for Northerns! Bring along some #4 & #5 Mepps, maybe a topwater bait like a torpedo, a large Rapala in silver or perch color, and some Daredevl spoons. Steel leaders are highly recommended! There isnt any Walleye on the lakes you are near, but according to the park there is Perch in Lake Ritchie, although I am not sure on the quantity or quality. I have caught Northern Pike on Lake Ritchie and Chickenbone. All good eaters! You will be limited to a few openings on Chickenbone.

As for birds, you will see plenty of these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmf7wvf4n5I
and these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoRCu9cEQRE

Also keep an eye/ear out for the Pileated Woodpecker, a very cool looking bird.
hiked 2000, hiked 2001, boater in 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011, solo hiked 2016, boater 2018, boater 2021, Boater 2022
10years=90days!!!
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

I would also consider staying a night at Moskey Basin. I would also avoid he last night in Rock Harbor. I would rather stay at 3-mile and hike the Tobin Harbor trail back and catch the boat.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
troop402miamisburg
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by troop402miamisburg »

Name: Boy Scout Troop 402
Hometown: Miamisburg, OH
Arrival Date:June 13
Departure Date: June 20
Coming From Copper Harbor
Itinery:
Day 1 Saturday: Arrive at Rock Harbor & Hang Out
Day 2 Sunday: Get up and hitch a ride on Captain Don's Boat to Wendigo then Wendigo to Island Mine
Day 3 Monday:Island Mine to Lake Desor South
Day 4 Tuesday: Lake desor South to Todd Harbor
Day 5 Wednesday: Todd harbor to McCargo Cove
Day 6 Thursday: McCargo Cove to Daisy Farm
Day 7 Friday: Daisy farm to Three Mile
Day 8 Saturday: Three Mile to Rock Harbor back to Copper Harbor

I believe that is the final agenda we are discussing. Small group, unfortunately, I am the most experianced backpacker, which is not that experianced but I have hyped the most out of this to the scouts and I really got them looking forward to it as much as I am. The biggest hurdle for us is food, ie getting food people will eat and enjoy that is also light.
Don_P
LNT Expert

Post by Don_P »

The biggest hurdle for us is food, ie getting food people will eat and enjoy that is also light.
Check a couple of the sites geared toward hiker-friendly food. Variety is great and weight is manageable. You don't all have to eat the same thing, either. Lots of the meals are double-serving, so bring a wide variety and let folks choose.

http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/

http://www.onepanwonders.com/
colvinch
LNT Expert

Post by colvinch »

Don_P wrote:
The biggest hurdle for us is food, ie getting food people will eat and enjoy that is also light.
Check a couple of the sites geared toward hiker-friendly food. Variety is great and weight is manageable. You don't all have to eat the same thing, either. Lots of the meals are double-serving, so bring a wide variety and let folks choose.

http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/

http://www.onepanwonders.com/

When you are hungry it doesn't matter what it is, and jerky is always a good back up that you can eat or add to food, and it's easy to make
troop402miamisburg
NewbieCake

Post by troop402miamisburg »

Thanks for the links and the advice. It is greatly appreciated
sgerbs
LNT Expert

Post by sgerbs »

In another thred, I said if I got the job that I had been interviewing for that my wife and I would be making our first trip to IR. Thankfully, I got the job and I booked my passage on the VII today. I'm so stoaked about heading to IR!

Name: Shawn Gers
Email: sgerbers (at) yahoo.com
Hometown: Now living in Gary, IN (because of new job), originally from Grand Rapids, MI
Arrival Date: June 1
Departure Date: June 7
Coming From/Via: VII
Itinerary: Day 1 - Grand Portage to McCargoe Cove
Day 2 - McCargoe to West Chickenbone
Day 3 - WC to Hatchet Lake
Day 4 - HL to South Lake Desor
Day 5 - SLD to Windigo
Day 6 - Stay at Windigo an extra night while we wait to be picked up
Day 7 - VII back to Grand Portage
Notes/Other: I thought about staying at Island Mine on Day 5 instead of hiking to Windigo, but from what I've heard and read Island Mine is not that great of place to stay because of its location. So we will probably hike to Windigo on Day 5 and then on Day 6 we'll day hike the Huginnin Cove loop or just enjoy Washington Harbor. Any suggestions?
2009: MC, WC, HL, SLD, WC
Isle Royale Rob
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Isle Royale Rob »

Isle Royale Rob wrote:Name: Rob, Ray, Frank Dumas
Email: (at) vladinator1@sbcglobal.net
Hometown: Warren, Mi.
Arrival Date: 7-3-09
Departure Date: 7-11-09
Coming From/Via: Houghton via MV Ranger III
Itinerary:
Day 1-3 - Merritt Cabin in Tobin Harbor. Do a little Lake Trout fishing.
Day 4-5 - Birch Island. Pike fishing!
Day 6 - Malone Bay
Day 7 - Chippewa Harbor Pike fishing!
Day 8 - Caribou Island. A visit to the Bangsund Cabin.
Notes/Other: We will be taking our boat over on the Ranger! Keep your eyes peeled for a 2005 Stratos with an American Flag. If you see us, flag us down for a FREE BEER and some conversation!
I have made some changes to our route, so you guys looking for the free beer should adjust their schedule accordingly!
We have added a 4th person. My nephew Paul will be joining us again for our fifth trip to the island together. My Dad is coming along as well, which I am very excited about, as he has never been to the island. Here is our plans for the week of July3-July11, 2009:
July2ND - Arrive in Houghton around 7AM, check in to hotel, rest up, stop at the grocery store to stock up on food for our trip, then do the Houghton Pubcrawl!

Friday July 3rd . Arrive at RH via RangerIII with our boat. The 4 of us will head over to Brian Merritt's cabin where he has allowed to stay at again!
Saturday July 4th - The 4 of us will stay at Brian's cabin again, trying out our luck at Lake trout fishing.
Sunday July 5th - Paul and I will get dropped off at Rock Harbor at 8AM where the two of us will hop on the Voyager and head down to Windigo area for the day, staying at Windigo or Huginninn Cove for the night. We wil spend the day exploring this part of the island that we haven't seen yet! Ray and my Dad will either spend this night at Brian's again, or they have the option of staying at Duncan Bay Narrows or Belle Isle.
Monday July 6th - Paul and I will take the Voyager from Windigo to McCargoe Cove. Ray and my Dad will head to Birch Island in the morning and then pick us up at McCargoe Cove at 1:30pm. We will spend the day fishing in McCargoe Cove and Brady Cove. We will stay the night at Birch Island (or McCargoe if Birch is occupied)
Tuesday July 7th - The four of us will do some early morning fishing in Brady Cove. After lunch, my Dad and I will drop Ray and Paul off at McCargoe Cove, where they will proceed to hike to Lake Ritchie, where they will stay for the night. In the meantime, my Dad and I will either stay another night at Birch or McCargoe, or of the wind is calm, we will head over to either Belle Isle, Duncan Bay Narrows or Merritt Lane for the night.
Wednesday July 8th - My dad and I will head out in the AM for Rock Harbor to re-fuel. We will then head over to Chippewa Harbor where we will meet up with Ray and Paul, who will be hiking in from Lake Ritchie. We will all spend the day doing some Pike fishing in Chippewa Harbor. Maybe i can hook up again with that beast I caught last year!
Thursday July 9th - We will probably hang out in Chippewa or if the weather is calm, we will head over to Malone Bay.
Friday July 10th - First thing in the morning we will head over to Caribou Island. We will hopefully meet up with Rolf & Candy and the Bangsund Cabin. We will also check out the Daisy Farm area.
Saturday July 11th - Head back to Houghton Via the RangerIII.

We decided to try to see some of the island not yet explored by us. I made the reservations for the Voyager today and am excited about seeing the west end of the island, even if it will only be for a day. Does anyone have any suggestions on what we could do for the day we will be in Windigo. I figured we would probably hike to Huginninn Cove and stay there for the night, and then hike to Windigo in the morning to catch the Voyager to McCargoe Cove. Or I also thought we might be able to hike to Feldtmann Lake. I am wondering if this leaves enough time to Hike back to Windigo to make the voyager at 10:30 (11:30 Eastern). It looks like it is approx 8.5 miles. Do you think this would be pushing it? How is this hike? It seems like it is relativly easy and flat hiking.
hiked 2000, hiked 2001, boater in 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011, solo hiked 2016, boater 2018, boater 2021, Boater 2022
10years=90days!!!