august/september conditions

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

august/september conditions

Post by JerryB »

i head to the island on 9/2. Just saw the NPS alert about the low water at Island Mine. Anyone been there recently? Wondering it this is just the normal low water or worse than usual. NPS says to carry extra water or hike down to L Superior for water. I may hike directly to S Desor from Washington Creek, but i like to know my options. Thanks
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Re: august/september conditions

Post by Ingo »

A ranger (last Fri) said there's water, but may not be the most appealing if you're picky (in essence). Apparently it's been somewhat dry and not much rain in the immediate forecast.
24: MI-MB-MI, 22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-TM-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
DVX135
NewbieCake

Post by DVX135 »

I'm backpacking from Windigo to RH 9/10-15.
Planning on carrying extra water due to low flow at Island Mine CG. Short first day since was only able to get a 2pm flight out.

Bigger question is algae on lakes and person at park office didn't have definitive info.
Are South Lake Desor and Hatchet Lake safe to get water from?
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Post by Ingo »

There's been no reports of algae blooms so far this year and best guess is you'll be OK. Lakes Ritchie and Chickenbone have been the most usual suspects in the past, but of course there's no guarantee. They should tell you if and what lakes are affected at orientation when you get there, and what to be cautious of if one pops up during your trip. There aren't regular patrols of the trails and lakes, so they mostly rely on visitor reports.
24: MI-MB-MI, 22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-TM-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH