Recommendations for a 4 night trip?

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

HoosierHiker1202
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Recommendations for a 4 night trip?

Post by HoosierHiker1202 »

Hey all, I've been to IR twice before, so I'm familiar, but in no way an expert. I'm going to bring a friend next summer, which will be his first trip. We'll fly in first thing on a Friday morning in June, then fly out Tuesday morning. Anybody care to offer a "Best of IR" 4 day route for me? I've been to Moskey and loved it. I've also hiked the Greenstone from Windigo to RH. I'm curious about Feldman Loop, but also torn by the prospect of something with Moskey and/or McCargoe, Lane, or Chippewa. I guess one of my questions would be is Moskey substantially different from the other harbors and coves, or if we get to one of them, are the others pretty similar? Any better moose sighting potential in one area than the other? Any other thoughts I should take into consideration?

I realize from other posts in this forum how difficult of a question this is, but I would really appreciate any feedback anyone has to offer.
First trip- June 2021 - Windigo to Rock Harbor
June 2022 - Moosewatch for Educators
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Re: Recommendations for a 4 night trip?

Post by dcclark »

Here's a principle that I like to use: It's better to take it easy and enjoy what you experience, rather than overdo it while trying to get to "the best" and thereby be too tired to enjoy those places. So for example, I don't think it's worth doing long days just to reach Chippewa Harbor for one night.

My opinion is that Moskey is a wonderful location, one of the best you can easily reach from Rock Harbor, but that it's also extremely busy and hard to get a good site unless you arrive quite early. But it's much more accessible than McCargoe and Chippewa Harbor when starting from either end.

Lane Cove had a few years as an extremely popular campground, and now that may be dying off a bit. I think it's also lovely in a completely different way than Moskey -- no shelters, no dock, view to the north rather than east (so no sunsets, but more chances of getting interesting weather and auroras), but also more swimmable. It is also rather inconvenient -- a bit far from everything, with a nice big hike up the Greenstone on your way out.

Moose appear where they appear. I've seen more of them at Feldtmann Lake than anywhere else, but I've also seen plenty along the Greenstone and even using the paved trails in Rock Harbor.

All of that said, here are two recommendations:

1. Rock Harbor --> Daisy Farm --> Moskey --> Three Mile --> Rock Harbor. On one of the legs between Three Mile and Daisy Farm, turn up onto the ridge rather than taking the Rock Harbor trail. This shows off some of the nice bits of the east end including Moskey and gives you a chance to arrive early enough to get a shelter, plus time up on the ridge.

2. Feldtmann Loop: There's plenty to see, good ridge views, chances for moose at Feldtmann Lake, Siskiwit is one of my favorite campgrounds ever, and Rainbow Cove is always a crowd pleaser. The hiking will be a bit more rugged especially between Feldtmann and Siskiwit, so you'll need to judge if that's appropriate for you and your friend. You could also skip Island Mine which might give you enough time to add a dayhike to Huginnin, or even stay there for one night if you're willing to get up really early the next morning.
HoosierHiker1202
NewbieCake

Thanks for the great feedback. I think we both kind of enjoy getting a decent number of miles each day, so my guess is we're shooting for something a little longer than the first suggestion. That said, as you've mentioned, a day trip out between campgrounds wouldn't be out of the question. Feldtmann is intriguing to me. I know I didn't particularly love Windigo to Island Mine, at least not like I did the Eastern portions of GRT or Moskey, but maybe the Loop provides more views?

Regardless, I appreciate you taking the time to give me such good feedback.
dcclark
May actually live on IR

Post by dcclark »

The best views on the Feldtmann loop are along the Feldtmann ridge itself, and those views are spectacular. Similar to the Greenstone at its best, but looking the opposite direction. There's also a fire tower you can climb (similar to Mt. Ojibway), but you hardly need it. There can be some good glimpses of Lake Superior on the way downhill from Island Mine to Siskiwit, if you go that direction, and the cobble beaches near Siskiwit are beautiful too.

I also thought the east Huginnin trail, and Huginnin Cove itself, was quite beautiful, especially the bits along the north shore. I'm a sucker for a good Lake Superior shoreline.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Post by Ingo »

I'd do the Feldtmann loop. I've only done it once, solo at the end of May, and it was one of my best trips. Even in June, esp if it's earlier, trails shouldn't be terribly overgrown and it offers a different perspective than what you've had. I'll second everything dcclark has said and add that I found Island Mine quite pleasant (even in a cold rain), Siskiwit has a great beach and firepit (even in the cold wind), and I spent the better part of a day exploring Rainbow Cove with a layover at Feldtmann--both go to bed and wake up to the loons, and moose every time I turned around. I would only take exception with not needing to climb the firetower :D.
24: MI-MB-MI, 22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-TM-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
HoosierHiker1202
NewbieCake

Feldtmann sounds like it has a strong following. Definitely something to consider. Firetower would definitely be climbed if we opt for that route. So much to think about...
dcclark
May actually live on IR

Post by dcclark »

I asked my wife this question, and she had an interesting answer you might want to consider: "I'd go to the east end. The trails are more rugged and you get a better feeling for the island's terrain. Some trails stay close to Lake Superior which I like more. There are fewer tunnels of trees."
HoosierHiker1202
NewbieCake

Thanks for all the feedback. Ultimately, I think I’m going to see what I haven’t yet seen. I think we’ll do the Feldtmann Loop, and possibly sneak in Hugginin Cove. I appreciate all the advice.
HoosierHiker1202
NewbieCake

Oh one last question (yeah, right)…It seems most of what I’ve read about Feldtmann has people going counterclockwise. I’d really prefer not to end by hiking from Island Mine to Windigo. Any strong reason not to reverse the route?
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Post by Ingo »

HoosierHiker1202 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 1:53 pm Oh one last question (yeah, right)…It seems most of what I’ve read about Feldtmann has people going counterclockwise. I’d really prefer not to end by hiking from Island Mine to Windigo. Any strong reason not to reverse the route?
I did it clockwise and thought it was great. One advantage (to me) is that you go down the steepest grades and up the more gentle side of the 3 ridges--although it doesn't seem to matter to a lot of folk. I also took a down day at Feldtmann and wanted that to be at the end, not the first day. And finally, the hike from Siskiwit to Feldtmann gets more interesting as you go along, instead of the other way around. But in the end, both work, there's no right/wrong answer.
24: MI-MB-MI, 22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-TM-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by JerryB »

i agree 100% with Ingo. I have to admit that i have done it both ways and it was always good, so the decision likely will not matter much. There is one time to definitely go counterclockwise. If you need to get into Windigo in the morning to catch a boat or plane, going, slightly, downhill from IM lets you cover some miles very quickly.
HoosierHiker1202
NewbieCake

That settles it. I was leaning clockwise anyways. Based on what I’m hearing from both of you, I feel pretty good about sticking to that plan. We’ll actually get back to Washington Creek the night before our flight, so we won’t be in a rush. We may, however, push on the Hugginin and sleep there on our last night, if we’re still feeling strong. I’ll have two first timers with me, so I’d like to remain flexible based on their feedback. Thanks, again.
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by JerryB »

Hugginin is wonderful. It is a loop hike. My suggestion is to take the slightly longer side, which goes along the shore of the lake. It is much easier and more scenic than the other side of the loop.