Coffee making, best methods

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

TomM1940
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Coffee making, best methods

Post by TomM1940 »

What method(s) do you like best to make coffee while camping? With the diversity of knowledge, experience, and opinions of the fine folks that frequent this forum, there should be some valuable if not interesting reponses. For backpacking the island, a single cup drip filter works fine and I can turn out a cup or three of pretty good stuff. What method works for you? Nothing like listening to loons at sunrise with a hot cup! Now my dilema....I get tasked with coffee duties for the parents on scout trips. I've failed quite misreably. Bad is an understatement. I've been using a stainless steel percolator and not sure what I'm doing wrong. Probably over-cooking. Any advice on how to use one of these things on a camp stove with two settings, off and blow torch? Any alternatives? I could go french press but I'd probably have to turn in my "man-card" and I've spent my REI dividend already. I've been thinking about just heating water and using instant before everyone gets up. See what I've sunk too. I'm not looking for Starbucks style here, just something similar to what I'd find at my local gas station. Surely some of you have solved this problem.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Re: Coffee making, best methods

Post by fonixmunkee »

Ahh yes, coffee in the backcountry. The essential life force for me.

I usually use just the Folger's singles nowadays, because they are light and easy to use. Always double 'em up...'cause one is not enough caffeine. And backpack out your refuse from the singles!

As far as the java press, you do NOT--repeat NOT--have to turn in your "man card" for using it. A java press is a sign of an excellent judge of coffee-making ability as is the true sign of a connoisseur. We use the JetBoil java press which works phenomenal, that is if we remember to bring it: http://www.jetboil.com/products/accessories/coffeepress Also, the JetBoil java press is contingent upon you having a JetBoil stove... :) But if you use any other stove, that would just be silly (I'll get some feedback later for that statement! :oops: )

It's hard to screw up coffee with that thing, and it's light weight too. I grind up coffee before our trip and vacuum seal it into packets with enough grounds for one pot. Just experiment with how much coffee does it for you before you leave so you have it perfected. Worst case scenario, you have a couple of crummy pots of coffee at home that I would already be drinking anyway...
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

I'm a KISS kinda guy--either singles like Fonix or old fashioned camp coffee, boiled to taste. A few grounds in the cup always seems appropriate when camping. Of course I only drink good stuff at home :) . For a group, I'd go with singles then each can seep to their own taste.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

I also use the Folgers singles. I field dress the grounds into the woods, but carry home the bag and tag.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
rxgac
NewbieCake

Post by rxgac »

The "mermaid" sells a french press thermal lexan cup. seen similar models elsewhere does pretty well. weighs in around 8 ounces so not a fly weight but about half of a similar stainless press. will double as a genral purpose cup so could be considered multiuse. nice part is you just drink out of the press/cup and it will work with any stove set up. best coffee you can make. wish i could get used to instant or find one that at least tries to taste like drip or pressed. i haven't tried the liquid concentrate packets, but at a buck a piece that's a little steep.
moss13
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by moss13 »

I use a java french press and love it. Easy to use and makes great coffee! I have not tried the single packets but that sounds like a great idea.
"The Island Is Calling"
ScoutDad
LNT Expert

Post by ScoutDad »

For backpacking, Folger's singles is what I usually take, but at times I have taken a ziplock bag of whole beans, ground them up in the bottom of my cup & then put them in a coffee filter wrapped closed w/a twist tie and steeped it in a cup of boiling water.

For scout trips with access to a coleman stove/constant flame, don't be afraid to use that french press! The flavor of the coffee is in the oil in the bean. A paper filter traps the oil, and you leave the flavor in the filter. The french press eliminates the paper filter, and makes a flavorful cup!
My profession is to always find God in nature.
- Henry David Thoreau -
Bkrnclmbr
NewbieCake

Post by Bkrnclmbr »

Has anyone here tried out the MSR MugMate coffee filter? It seems like it would work better than carrying paper filters around, and i have been pondering buying one to try out. I usually just take instant coffee, but the instant definitely leaves something to be desired.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

I realize that when I'm backpacking, I have to make concessions on what I bring. I bring Taster's Choice instant packets. Pour the crystals in and add hot water. It tastes like coffee, and it's warm, and that seems to be enough to perk me up in the morning. Also, very easy to pack out.
My hiking partner perfers tea, and does very well with an MSR tea-pot and loose leaves.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

ScoutDad wrote:For scout trips with access to a coleman stove/constant flame...
What do ya mean "scout trips" :wink: ? All I have is a Coleman! :D (advantage of paddling...)
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
ScoutDad
LNT Expert

Post by ScoutDad »

Ingo wrote:
ScoutDad wrote:For scout trips with access to a coleman stove/constant flame...
What do ya mean "scout trips" :wink: ? All I have is a Coleman! :D (advantage of paddling...)

I'm talking with my troop and a campsite with 5 or six sleepy eyed adult leaders clamoring for coffee!. The Coleman (2 or 3 burner, white gas) makes using the french press easy.

On the trail, it's the dragonfly or whisperlight stove and usually the Folger's singles. :)
My profession is to always find God in nature.
- Henry David Thoreau -
mihiker
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by mihiker »

TomM~
My coffee tips for Scout trips:
Use the Stainless peculator.
Line the basket with a filter.
Add grounds to suit. Depends on how strong everyone can deal with.
I think that we use one Tbs per 8oz water. (My memory is getting bad)
Cover the grinds with another filter.
Place on the heat.
We use LP fueled stoves (Colman brand, but not the white gas kind)
We place the burner on med / med-high.
Keep an eye on it.
We usually consider it done when the color of the coffee percing in the glass reaches that rich brown color.
Remove from heat. Let the basket drain for a minute or so.
Remove the basket.
Pour.

For backpacking, it's Folgers pouch style (3 at a time) or liquid concentrate.
Don_P
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Don_P »

I hand in my "man card" and use the powdered cappuccino mix. Not what I drink at home but it's passable. More importantly, it keeps my wife happy on the trail.
Ziggy
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by Ziggy »

fonixmunkee wrote:Ahh yes, coffee in the backcountry. The essential life force for me.

I usually use just the Folger's singles nowadays, because they are light and easy to use. Always double 'em up...'cause one is not enough caffeine. And backpack out your refuse from the singles!

As far as the java press, you do NOT--repeat NOT--have to turn in your "man card" for using it. A java press is a sign of an excellent judge of coffee-making ability as is the true sign of a connoisseur. We use the JetBoil java press which works phenomenal, that is if we remember to bring it: http://www.jetboil.com/products/accessories/coffeepress Also, the JetBoil java press is contingent upon you having a JetBoil stove... :) But if you use any other stove, that would just be silly (I'll get some feedback later for that statement! :oops: )

It's hard to screw up coffee with that thing, and it's light weight too. I grind up coffee before our trip and vacuum seal it into packets with enough grounds for one pot. Just experiment with how much coffee does it for you before you leave so you have it perfected. Worst case scenario, you have a couple of crummy pots of coffee at home that I would already be drinking anyway...
+1 on the JetBoil Java Press. This works fantastic. If you have a JetBoil and like coffee, it's a must have. I'll also be keeping my man card until I start steaming powdered milk to add into it.
zentater
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by zentater »

I have the coffee press for my jetboil which works well but I may try the Starbucks instant coffee - Via on this go around in August...less work :)