Handguns in Parks

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

Dominator
NewbieCake

Handguns in Parks

Post by Dominator »

New here, does or has anyone here carried a gun on the island yet? have you seen anyone carrying one yet?
8)
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Handguns in Parks

Post by johnhens »

As far as I know handguns are not allowed in the park.
Suspect question for your first post.
Dominator
NewbieCake

Post by Dominator »

I had thought I had read something about there being a law passed back in Feb or March about allowing guns in National Parks, just curious because I haven't seen anything yet this year and I have been in few parks already. Just curious...
8)
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

May 23, 2009 Mining Journal

MUNISING - A bill signed into law Friday by President Obama will allow visitors to carry loaded guns in national parks and wildlife refuges.

The legislation was included in a bill on credit card reforms and is not expected to take effect for several months.

A spokeswoman for the Interior Department said that because the credit card law won't take effect until nine months after it is signed, the gun measure also will be delayed.

Spokeswoman Kendra Barkoff said the Interior Department will follow Congress' directive and put the new firearms law into effect in late February 2010.
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
Nick
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by Nick »

Prior to the passage of the credit card bill, a Federal District Court Judge found the federal regulation unconstitutional. The new law made the old federal regulation issue moot. I suspect that the new portion of the law will be challenged. That said, I seriously can't think of any reason to carry a firearm on the Island.
moss13
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by moss13 »

I agree, absolutely no reason to carry a gun on Isle Royale. If you feel you need a gun in a National Park, I strongly suggest you stay home.
"The Island Is Calling"
Damon S
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Damon S »

WOW, I'm surprised everyone's beloved Obama would support such legislation. Funny.

Have to agree though, as a second amendment enthusiast, I'd have to say there is absolutely no reason to bring a pistol or any other firearm to IR.

Regards,

Damon
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

Ahhh... Politics. Normally a topic I eschew.
Good ol' politicians (both sides of the aisle) put things in bills that have no bearing on the primary topic; not like it's an omnibus bill or anything... So, "You want credit card reform, we want gun freedom" becomes possible.

Hmmm... This might finally be the answer to that pesky squirrel at Desor North... :wink:
Then again, is a firearm really going to make my "Do I need this weight" list? I don't think so..
Nick
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by Nick »

Tom wrote:Ahhh... Politics. Normally a topic I eschew.
Good ol' politicians (both sides of the aisle) put things in bills that have no bearing on the primary topic; not like it's an omnibus bill or anything... So, "You want credit card reform, we want gun freedom" becomes possible.

Hmmm... This might finally be the answer to that pesky squirrel at Desor North... :wink:
Then again, is a firearm really going to make my "Do I need this weight" list? I don't think so..
Hey, I'm all for carrying in National Parks. In 1981, my wife and I were researching "Homo Sapien Grafittius" on Isle Royale. We wrote the article, but it was never published. We were on the Island in early May, even, I think, before the first boat. There were a couple of rangers and a couple of researchers on the Island and that was it. It was just after Regan was elected and James Watt was the new Secretary of the Interior. Written inside one of the shelters at Daisy Farm was the follow quote which sums up why we should all carry on Isle Royale: "The sooner we kill all the wild animals, the sooner we will find out where they hid their money." :mrgreen: