food drop off

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

mgpuma
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

food drop off

Post by mgpuma »

What's the deal with getting food droped off? I got overnights at Todd and McCargoe. Was just wondering.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Mike,
Here is the food drop info:

How do I make food drops on Isle Royale National Park?
You can mail yourself a package through Grand Portage Minnesota Post Office. If the package contains food or stove fuel you must meet the boat to collect your package. If the package contains no fuel or food the concession operation at Windgo or Rock Harbor will collect and store your box for a fee. To use this service - please place the following information on the box:

Your Name
C/O Voyageur II or Wenonah (Wenonah only serves Windigo)
Grand Portage, MN 55605

On the lower left side of the package place the following:

Location of pick-up: Windigo, McCargoe Cove, Rock Harbor, Daisy Farm, Chippewa Harbor, or Malone Bay
Date of Pick-up: Month/Day/Year

For More information call the Grand Portage Post Office at (218)475-2303
Capt Don
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 546

Post by Capt Don »

Pakage delivery via US Mail are limited to designated US Mail stops, Windigo and Rock Harbor for island non residents. Packages sent through the mail to be dropped at other locations can be provided for a fee of $5 for a package up to 20 lbs. Packages larger than 20 lbs. are priced depending on size and weight. All remote package deliveries need to be set up with our office in advance to schedule delivery and the recipient must be present to receive the package or they can be placed on the dock unattended if you wish.

www.isleroyaleboats.com
fishEH
NewbieCake

Post by fishEH »

johnhens wrote: If the package contains food or stove fuel you must meet the boat to collect your package. If the package contains no fuel or food the concession operation at Windgo or Rock Harbor will collect and store your box for a fee.
So if you can't have food and fuel left at the store, what kind of items are people sending themselves? I'd really like to send myself a food/fuel drop but don't want to have to wait until 10:30 or 11 am to get it. Are they pretty strict about the food/fuel thing? What is the point if the restriction? Thanks for helping an IR newb.
Capt Don
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 546

Post by Capt Don »

I don't know what, if any, rules apply to the store holding on to packages. We don't get involve with that aspect of the shipping. I do know that it is not their resposibility and they can make any rules they want and that would also go for the ranger stations. We transport packages regularly for this purpose, they contain food, fuel, even beer in the past. As I posted earlier, if you want it left unattended on the dock, rather than be there to pick it up, its up to you. We coordinate transport with the shipper, we don't involve the park service or concession in drop offs. You are welcome to call us and discuss the options if you wish, the office is open today until 8pm CDT at 651-653-5872.
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Re: food drop off

Post by philranger »

I tried to send myself a package and it wasn't there when I got to Windigo. It came back to me via the US Mail about a week later.

I have left a small stuff sack of food at Rock Harbor at the Ranger Station.

I also saw a duffle bag left in a shelter at Windigo. The note said we could use the shelter. We respected their wishes and didn't even peek. I think most of the people that go to IR are honest folk and would respect a bag left in a shelter.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

So, let's say that I wanted to mail myself a 19lb box of food and needed it to arrive at, say, McCargoe Cove on Wed. Aug 19th. I could mail the box to Voyaguer II with the specific delivery place and date. Then contact the company, tell them about what I'm doing, figure out how to pay the $5 delivery fee (credit card by phone, cash on the dock, etc) and God willing, no storms that day, no break downs, etc. It should show up about 1:00 PM at McCargoe Cove on that particular Wednesday? Gosh that's a lot of moving parts to get to mesh, but if it works it's great.

How long in advance should I mail the package? How long will the company hold it pending delivery?
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

DonNewcomb wrote:So, let's say that I wanted to mail myself a 19lb box of food and needed it to arrive at, say, McCargoe Cove on Wed. Aug 19th. I could mail the box to Voyaguer II with the specific delivery place and date. Then contact the company, tell them about what I'm doing, figure out how to pay the $5 delivery fee (credit card by phone, cash on the dock, etc) and God willing, no storms that day, no break downs, etc. It should show up about 1:00 PM at McCargoe Cove on that particular Wednesday? Gosh that's a lot of moving parts to get to mesh, but if it works it's great.

How long in advance should I mail the package? How long will the company hold it pending delivery?
Call Capt. Don at 651-653-5872 and he can help you.