Moskey Basin

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

ebecker
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Moskey Basin

Post by ebecker »

Any thoughts on Moskey Basin? I've got it in my itinerary, but I'm not seeing the rave reviews that Lane Cove and Chippewa Harbor get on the message boards.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: Moskey Basin

Post by Tom »

Well then. RAVE RAVE RAVE RAVE.

I'd say Moskey is up there as one of my favorite campsites. VERY beautiful area, with awesome sunrises. Probably the best shelter placements on Isle Royale; they're located on the rock slabs with gentle slopes right to the water.
Also a great swimming area/shallows near the dock.
It's not as secluded/quiet (per se) as say Chippewa, primarily I think because Chippewa is a deadend route whereas Moskey is 'on the trail.'
Another beauty of Moskey is that if it doesn't appeal to you, you can march over to Richie, which is also very scenic, just somewhat open, so not so good in a storm... But I'd still take Moskey over Richie. Probably in my top three sites...
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Moskey Basin is one of my favorite places on the Island. Beautiful shelters facing the water, nice rocks looking SW in Rock Harbor, chance to see moose in the nearby swamps, not a lot of people. Did I mention nice views from the shelter?
[URL=http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo ... .jpg[/img][/url]
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

My domain name of moskeybasin.com should say it all. From shelter 7:

22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
ebecker
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by ebecker »

Thanks guys! I'm sold on my night @ Moskey Basin. Thanks for posting the pics!
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Backpacker534 »

Enough, already! You guys are making me jealous. Ya know, for all the times I've been on the island and all the trails I've hiked, I have never stayed at Moskey Basin. Actually, the closest I got to it was during my first trip to the island. We hiked the Rock Harbor Trail to Lake Richie and then north to Chickenbone Lake. I remember stopping at the far west end of Moskey Basin for a quick photo before continuing on toward Lake Richie but, we have never stayed there. I will have to make sure I camp there one of these days -- it sounds excellent!
Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Kevinl »

As someone who has spent most of his time around the west end of the island, I stayed there for the first time last summer and I'm still raving. Love it.
philranger
Bushwacker

Post by philranger »

Definitely one of the best campsites on the island. I have been lucky enough to visit here twice. In 2006, I met Rolf and Candy Peterson at the pier. (that's them in the boat). One of the coolest things about this site is the view North towards Daisy Farm. It's spectacular.
Attachments
moskey.jpg
Last edited by philranger on Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

Also one of my favorites.

Backpacker534
May actually live on IR

Post by Backpacker534 »

Now, that's a nice view!!
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

If you folks keeping sending in these great pictures I'll have to go to Moskey this year.