1ST trip plan, your 2 cents

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

ffinmich
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

1ST trip plan, your 2 cents

Post by ffinmich »

Hello, goin to IR soon, Friday Tto Friday
Friday, copper h. to rock harbor, water taxi to Moskey. Hike to west chickenbone. How is this trail, wel marked? is this doable or should I stay at moskey.

Sat. Hatchet lake
Sun. Lake Desor
Mon. Washington Creek
Tue. hang out around Windigo and take it easy
Wed. boat back to Rock Harbor
Thur. No plans
Fri. Back to Copper Harbor

Good, bad any suggestions
Thanks
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Re: 1ST trip plan, your 2 cents

Post by Keweenaw »

Looks like a nice, mellow trip. The trailheads and junctions are all well marked and the trails are obvious.

For your "no plans" Thursday you might want to (if the weather is good) rent a canoe or tandem kayak for a half day and explore Tobin Harbor.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
ffinmich
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by ffinmich »

Thanks Bob, after getting off the water taxi at moskey, would you stay there for the first day or head to Chickenbone.
Thanks
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

That's a tough call. Moskey is a really nice campground, but I guess I'd be itching to get on the trail.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
laqtis
NewbieCake

Post by laqtis »

I haven't been to all of the campsites on the island, but so far, Moskey is my favorite place.

I would also suggest you fill in your "no plans" part of your itinerary with some of the great sites and things to do around RH. Canoeing/tooling around would be a really cool way of appreciating the island from a water perceptive.