Hot Fishing for Salmon Moskey Basin

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

robin621
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Hot Fishing for Salmon Moskey Basin

Post by robin621 »

Two weeks ago I had a lot a luck catching Coho Salmon on a deep deep diving rapala just past the Edison Fishery in the Moskey Basin area in a canoe. Cast those baits far and reel them fast!
bac
NewbieCake

Re: Hot Fishing for Salmon Moskey Basin

Post by bac »

Hey, Thanks for the tip!
About how deep is Moskey Basin? Would a rap that dives to 14 feet be enough?
colvinch
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by colvinch »

We got a Coho and a Pink, near the dock on Belle Isle. Both were caught on Mepps Agila #5. We were trolling in the canoes going around 3mph. The day before another guy got a coho and a laker in the same spot.
Damon S
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Damon S »

No kidding!

I had luck in the same area but was trolling from my sea kayak. Barely dropped my line in the water and had one on. Started lettin some line out just up from the fishery near Rolf's place, locked the bail and WHAM, nice COHO.

Wish I could have stayed longer but the wife and I went back to camp so we could clean and cook it up.
robin621
LNT Expert

Post by robin621 »

Damon, Cool...those big fish are fun!
robin621
LNT Expert

Post by robin621 »

I don't remember the type of rapala I was using...lost them along the trip at some point, however, the rapalas that I was using were super deep divers 20-30 ft. I found them in the Walleye section at Gander Mountain. I kind of caught then on accident...I had no idea that I would nail some Coho salmon. Just buy something that goes deep. It was a good little fight on my Ugly Stick. I was using some green braided line, the line sucked, broke off several lures using it. I'm going back to 17 pound test Trilene.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

I was in Gander Mtn yesterday. I looked at a 32" ice fishing rod, very stiff, might be a good option for trolling while paddling.
Damon S
Trailblazer

Post by Damon S »

What kind of braided were you using? Not to doubt your tying ability, but I often find fisherman having that problem are not setting up their gear correctly/tying bad knots. I've never had any issues with my line and love using the braided for trolling on IR.

Damon...
Damon S
Trailblazer

Post by Damon S »

also, I've had great results with the deep diving rapalas, storm lures and hot/tots. I run a long section of line out and get em as deep as I can.
robin621
LNT Expert

Post by robin621 »

John & Damon,

The ice fishing pole would be lightweight and easy to pack, John. I like the suggestion. Damon, I need to PRACTICE a couple of new knots! I thought that may have been the problem...also I got kind of excited on the way to IR and impulsively purchased one of those Harmon reels at Jay's. I wasn't used to it. I think that may have snapped off a few lures because the bail wasn't broken in yet. I'll find the name to that fishing line next time I see it at the store and let you know. Anyway, I'm stocking up on a few new IR items for my trip in July. I'm going to try to do a 3 weeker, I'm thinking about Sargent Lake this year. Do you guys know anything about it? I'm going to do a little research and see what I can find on the forum etc....

BTW-When are you guys thinking of going this year and how long?

Chris
Damon S
Trailblazer

Post by Damon S »

Chris,

Not too sure when we'll be headed up this year, but probably earlier than later...June or early July, perhaps.

I use Power Pro line and knots are definitely important!! The ice fishing rod is an idea, but I'll tell you, the EMMROD is a nice package and perfect for trolling. The stainless steel rod can be casted easily with a heavier lure, and they're strong enough to fight the big boys.

Merry Christmas,

Damon...
robin621
LNT Expert

Post by robin621 »

Same to you! I have my fingers crossed for a new lightweight sleeping bag. Anticipating my next IR trip is harder than waiting for X-mas:)
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

robin621 wrote:I was using some green braided line, the line sucked, broke off several lures using it. I'm going back to 17 pound test Trilene.

Unless the line was worn out, nicked from dragging across rocks, etc. the most likely cause of several lost lures is poor knots.

I'm no knot expert but I've always liked the Trilene knot. But it's always possible to poorly execute any good knot design. Also, some knots are stronger with braided line.

~Ed
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
robin621
LNT Expert

Post by robin621 »

The funny thing is...I tied the lures the same two ways the year prior and didn't lose a single one. Trial and error, I guess:) I'll be sure to learn a few new knots and practice down here in PHX before heading up this year.
offthegrid
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by offthegrid »

I know this thread is a little old but here is a link to "the best" knot for braided line (Fireline, Spiderwire, etc). It's never failed me.

http://www.totalfisherman.com/blog/318/ ... omar-knot/