# of tents at group sites

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

daveb1313
NewbieCake

# of tents at group sites

Post by daveb1313 »

In the group campsites, is there a maximum number of tents a group can set up? For example, if there are 7 of us, can we set up 7 tents? Thanks!
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: # of tents at group sites

Post by Tom »

I'm not aware of a policy restriction against it, but I think you'd be up against available space. While the group sites are more roomy than individual sites, some of them only have so much room/clear space to set up tents.. If you know which sites you might be planning, list them here and some of the forum folks might recall what those camps are like. I may even have some pictures. (I tend to take campsite pictures at the various camps.. Go figure.)
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

Ditto what Tom said. The only tent regulation I can recall is that you are not allowed to set up a tent next to a shelter (although you can set one up inside a shelter for extra warmth).

Most individual sites have 2 or 3 decent tent spaces and some of the group sites would easily accommodate 7 tents while others would not. Usually it would be more a matter of there being a few good places and a few marginal places (slope, rocks, roots).

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Here is a link to the Group Camping Brochure:

http://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvisit/u ... 20Book.pdf

It does not specifically limit the number of tents although the Group Reservation Form (see page 7) does ask for the number of tents in your group.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
daveb1313
NewbieCake

Post by daveb1313 »

Thanks for the info! While researching this question, I came across this forum. Loaded with great stuff!!
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

daveb1313 wrote:In the group campsites, is there a maximum number of tents a group can set up? For example, if there are 7 of us, can we set up 7 tents? Thanks!
Must be a guy's trip. :)
daveb1313
NewbieCake

Post by daveb1313 »

lol, Scouts.
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by JerryB »

I took Scouts to I.R. last year. No limit on tents, but there is, of course, there is a limit to the number of individuals in any group. (7-10, I think). Our troop ended up splitting into two groups, with different itineraries, because of that. It worked out well.