Rock Harbor to Windigo

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

ffinmich
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Rock Harbor to Windigo

Post by ffinmich »

Hello, I am planing my first trip to IR. Will be going from Rock Harbor to Windigo on the greenstone.Can you tell me what you think is the easyest and the hardest strech.
Thanks
Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Re: Rock Harbor to Windigo

Post by Kevinl »

Welcome to the forums.

Here's my trip report from that route last year: http://www.isleroyaleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=915

The easiest section had to be the end. Even though it's a long way from South Desor, it's downhill towards the end and thoughts of a soda at the Windigo store helped a lot. It rained that entire day though. I'm really not sure what I thought the toughest was--none of it is all that challenging but there are plenty of up and down parts. But once you get up, you often have some mighty views, so there are rewards. There are great views, and enough campgrounds dispersed nicely that you can generally choose your distance. My favorite campground for that trip had to be Moskey Basin.

Enjoy yourself.
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Rock Harbor to Windigo

Post by jerry »

Kevinl is correct, the west end isn't too bad. I've hiked from Windigo to Island Mine and thought it wasn't too bad (I was 62 at the time). I've also hiked from W. Chickenbone to about 2 miles outside Windigo. There are are some ups and downs, but not super hard. I've also covered the Greenstone from Mount Ojibway to Lookout Louise and that is even easier to me. Enjoy the hike and don't race. Great views along that trail.

jerry