Trip Plans

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

ffinmich
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Trip Plans

Post by ffinmich »

Helllo
I here when you get to IR you have to tell somone you trip plan, where you are campin each nigth, is this rigth, if so how cast in stone is this, what if you tell them one thing then decide to change adn go to a different campground.
Thanks
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Trip Plans

Post by Ingo »

Yes, when you get to the island you have to register and fill out an itinerary showing which campground you intend to stay at each night. However, it is not set in stone and you can change your mind during your trip, except for "groups" which are more than 6 people--in that case you must stick to the plan. Also, you must camp in a campground, unless you also get a backcountry permit.

If you take the Ranger III out of Houghton (the park service boat), you can register on the boat. Otherwise you will register at either the Rock Harbor or Windigo visitors center when you arrive.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
jerry
IR Expert

Post by jerry »

I had to change plans due to a "big storm" last year. No one seemed to care or take notice. Even a ranger I talked to when I got to the Rock Harbor campgrounds said "things happen." Maybe they'll look at where we were someday in the future.
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

Boaters have to do the same. We've deviated from our intended itinerary on both my trips, and our permits were checked every night we docked. They asked why (docks were usually full), but that's it.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

BTW, you are also supposed to turn in your permit when you leave, with any changes to the itinerary noted. I assume they use this to track actual campground/dock usage.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

Ingo's right, I forgot to mention that. Although, I don't think I noted any itinerary changes in the past. This year I will.