Picnic tables on tent only sites?

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

hummingbird
NewbieCake

Picnic tables on tent only sites?

Post by hummingbird »

Just wondering if picnic tables are present at all sites, or only those with shelters?
(If not, do any seasoned trekkers have advice on rigging up a level, clean cooking surface?)
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: Picnic tables on tent only sites?

Post by Tom »

As a general rule, you're only going to find picnic tables the same camps you'll find shelters. (I'm trying to think of an exception, but one doesn't come to mind..) - It's mostly a logistics issue; if they can't get the materials there to build a shelter, they're not carrying in a picnic table...
Even then, the picnic tables are rarely level. :wink:

I have a fold out base for my MSR stove, and that tends to stabilize things a bit better than the legs alone. Depending on your stove, they might make a similar system..
goatrodeo2010
NewbieCake

Post by goatrodeo2010 »

Things bring a question to my mind. What about the group sites? I have read and view campsite maps and learned that no shelters are available at the group sites, but what about picnic tables?
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

Correct, group sites are tent pads only. However, from what I recall, they have picnic tables, just like the regular tent sites. I have a picture I took at a McCargoe group site and it shows a table, so you're safe with that one!
Indeed, a picnic table goes a long way in helping make camp comfortable!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Specifically, if a campsite has a dock, it has shelters and picnic tables. For reasons Tom pointed out--getting them there. Probably safe to assume that groups sites at docks have tables, too. Pretty sure I saw them at Moskey, but I don't usually explore the group sites.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

If I remember correctly, the group site(s) at Chippewa (back by the schoolhouse) had a picnic table also.

This was in 2007, though.