That 72-hour itch

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

That 72-hour itch

Post by fonixmunkee »

No, not THAT itch.

The Itch kind of starts a little when you punch in your out-of-office info in your work email. When you're grocery shopping for snacks and treats, you can feel it too. Then when you're packing your pack, it really starts and you can't scratch it just yet. Then your pack sits all lonely and neglected for those last few hours, waiting to do it's duty. That's when you really start to feel The Itch. The Itch as to be scratched now, and the only way to do that is to set off on that long boat ride, planing across Lake Superior, until you see the ridges and trees of Isle Royale. Then The Itch goes away, and it's replaced by something wholly different.

Now I wait. All Itchy.
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: That 72-hour itch

Post by jrwiesz »

Take Benadryl. :D

This may help.
Attachments
Isle Royale Aug 2010 S.Desor sunset-resize.jpg
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
greg
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 28

Post by greg »

I couldn't agree more. There is such a buildup to getting to Isle Royale. The travel arrangements that often are less than simple. Preparing your gear and food. The long ride up to wherever you are heading to catch a boat or the seaplane. And then you're there and the hard work of hiking or paddling begins. I can't wait until my next trip up to the island. Greg R.
Greg M. Romaneck
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

So my 72-hour itch turned into a 96-hour itch thanks to Random Lake Superior Storms.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

fonixmunkee wrote:So my 72-hour itch turned into a 96-hour itch thanks to Random Lake Superior Storms.
Heard there were 50-60 MPH winds, what did you hear about wave heights?