Campsite Questions

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Mr Blister
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Campsite Questions

Post by Mr Blister »

We leave Next week! Quick question for the board.

Someone already told me that the campsites have outhouses. Do most or all have benches or at least logs to sit on? The reason I ask is that I have a very lightweight folding telescope stool that I am thinking of bringing, but I'm also trying to keep weight down. I have a chunk of a foam sleeping pad I always bring with to sit on if it's wet out. Everywhere I've hiked in the past worked well but as a luxury item I am considering it.
srparr
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Re: Campsite Questions

Post by srparr »

Mr Blister wrote:We leave Next week! Quick question for the board.

Someone already told me that the campsites have outhouses. Do most or all have benches or at least logs to sit on? The reason I ask is that I have a very lightweight folding telescope stool that I am thinking of bringing, but I'm also trying to keep weight down. I have a chunk of a foam sleeping pad I always bring with to sit on if it's wet out. Everywhere I've hiked in the past worked well but as a luxury item I am considering it.
Those with shelters (mostly campsites around the perimeter) usually have a picnic table. Those without sometimes have logs around, but not always.

I usually bring something to sit on (pad or something for groundcover).
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

I'd say leave the stool at home; save the weight for more Crown Royale. 8)
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
Mr Blister
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Mr Blister »

jrwiesz wrote:I'd say leave the stool at home; save the weight for more Crown Royale. 8)
Hmmm decisions decisons :? We're staying at S Desor Hatchet, Chickenbone and Chippewa Harbor. The way the pack is weighing now I might have to just hope for a good log somewhere.
padraig777
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by padraig777 »

All the campsites have an outhouse available. However, interior sites, like lake desire and west chickenbone, sometimes lack TP......make sure to bring a roll, and seal it I'm a zip lock bag.....trust me....