Any Solo Lady Backpackers out there??

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

royalesusie
NewbieCake

Any Solo Lady Backpackers out there??

Post by royalesusie »

I am wanting to backpack on the Island so bad I can taste it...probably summer of 2012. My first trip to the UP was this year and I fell totally in love!! My family and friends don't share my desire :( and so I am thinking about going solo !!! I have hiked and camped solo but never backpacked. Any other ladies out there that have done this? Or do you know of any that have? It seems pretty safe. Or, if any solo hikers want to talk and consider joining up with me on this adventure..... I'm open to that to. Thanks!!!!
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Any Solo Lady Backpackers out there??

Post by jerry »

In five of my eight trips to Isle Royale NP I've had to go solo. Being an old man (67) means I can't find many people my age able to do such a trip. My first solo in '06 started at Windigo with a clockwise route (Feldtmann Loop). About an hour or two into the hike up Greenstone a young woman from Japan (solo also) stopped and talked with me. We hiked together all the way to Windigo via Siskiwit Bay and Feldtmann. If you can't find someone before you head out to ISRO you can talk with folks on the boat going out. I've found many folks going the same way. Even hiked with some of them from time to time. I too may have to go solo again next year. Hope you find someone, maybe our paths will cross up there. You too may get hooked on this nice NP. jerry
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

I can recall on several trips meeting women along the trail that were soloing. It's certainly done, all the time.
I think you'll also find the first time you return and friends say, "You saw a WHAT? How close?!?" that suddenly everyone wants to go with you. :lol:
While I don't get to control who gets to go on the island, logistics and finances certainly do. It's not the place that a serial killer tries to go and hide from law enforcement. So do that degree, I consider Isle Royale quite 'safe.'
The bigger concern is health and trail safety, as in what happens if you twist and ankle, blow a knee, etc. In those cases, as Jerry indicates, very often you'll be seeing (and making friends) with the same groups of people when in camp. So, while you may be 'solo' for yourself on the trail, in a time of need you're not going to be abandoned. I find people on the Isle stick together if someone needs help.
ffinmich
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by ffinmich »

Hello, I have the same problem, no friends wanna go, hike IR twice solo. To me it feels like the most safest place ive ever been. First week in Sept. has been a great time to go
royalesusie
NewbieCake

Post by royalesusie »

Thanks everyone for the great info!!! I am more excited than ever to go!! :mrgreen:
zims
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by zims »

ok ladies, I myself have the same problem. I have traveled there with my son, and my sister and a friend, but it is most difficult to find anyone who wants to actually wants to hike and not shower for a week...lol.. I try to go at minimum once a year and would love to go more. I have a link here for my snapfish if you want to verify I have been there...lol..

http://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/fe/l= ... s%22%7D%7D

hope this works
of course I am the blonde