Voyager ferry connection with Isle Royale Queen question

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

Starfire
NewbieCake

Voyager ferry connection with Isle Royale Queen question

Post by Starfire »

Is it possible to take the ferry from Windigo to Rock Harbor and make it there in time to catch the Isle Royale Queen bound for Copper Harbor on the same day?

If not, is there a camp right in Rock Harbor, or do you have to trek out to Three Mile, and then back in to Rock Harbor the next day.

Thanks, I'm in the planning stages for 2013.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Voyager ferry connection with Isle Royale Queen question

Post by Ingo »

No, you won't get there in time to make the Queen. The Voyageur II gets in around 3:00 CDT (4 EDT), and Queen leaves at 2:45 EDT. But yes, there is a campground at Rock Harbor, so no problem there.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator

Post by IncaRoads »

Additional information to support the post from Ingo...

Link to Voyager II Schedule... http://www.isleroyaleboats.com/schedule.asp
Link to Queen IV Schedule... http://www.isleroyale.com/schedules-and-fares.html

During the prime part of the season, the Voyager II makes it to Rock Harbor only on Mon., Wed., Sat., and arrives at 3:00 PM CDT (4:00 PM EDT).
The Queen IV departs Rock Harbor for Copper Harbor 1:45 PM CDT (2:45 PM EDT).
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

I am not certain why you are planning things in such a manner. Could you explain your reasoning? I would like to know what frame of mind you are coming from so I could maybe help suggest some alternatives? Could you depart from Copper Harbor instead of Grand Portage (where the Voyageur comes from) and return to Grand Portage? Would the Ranger III or Air Royale Sea Plane which is located an hour south of Copper Harbor in Houghton be something worth considering? Again, I would love to hear why you are trying to plan things in such a way so that I could maybe me of more help. Thanks.
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator

Post by IncaRoads »

Rafiki, I believe the Original Poster (OP) wants to take the Queen IV from Copper Harbor to Rock Harbor, hike the length of the island, return to Rock Harbor via the Voyager II, and return to Copper Harbor via the Queen IV.
Starfire
NewbieCake

Post by Starfire »

IncaRoads is correct.

I don't want a smaller (3-4 day) loop. I want to pretty much hike the Greenstone Ridge starting at Rock Harbor. I would like to do a detour through McCargoe Cove (stay there one night)/Todd Harbor area, then loop back to the Greenstone Ridge and stay a night at Hatchet Lake, then back to the Greenstone Ridge to Windigo.

To go to Windigo and come back up the Minong to Rock Harbor would just be too long of a trip for me. So, a one way (Rock Harbor to Windigo) sounds about right. I'm thinking about 6 days of hiking to get to Windigo, a day to get back to Rock Harbor (Day 7), then leaving on the 8th day for Copper Harbor.

It looks like that's about the only good way to get the length I want, without retracing my steps on the trail.
Rafiki
IR Expert

Post by Rafiki »

IncaRoads wrote:Rafiki, I believe the Original Poster (OP) wants to take the Queen IV from Copper Harbor to Rock Harbor, hike the length of the island, return to Rock Harbor via the Voyager II, and return to Copper Harbor via the Queen IV.
:lol: I should have assumed as much and stuck with the obvious, but instead I had to get all complex on everyone. Thanks for enlightening me Inca.

Starfire:

Given your situation, I know if I were you, it would trouble me dearly to know that I reached my destination (Windigo) and was ready to go home, but instead I would have to spend the night at Windigo to wake up for an almost 6 hour ferry ride on the Voyaguer to go from Windigo to Rock Harbor. Then I would have to spend the night at Rock Harbor for another 4 hour ferry ride the following afternoon...not even in the morning right when I wake up and am still ready to leave the island to go back and enjoy the pleasantries of civilization. Eeeek!!! That would drive me bonkers. Essentically you will have 3 days of your vacation consumed by ferry rides. One to get to the island. One to leave Windigo. One to leave Rock Harbor.

I don't know how stuck you are on using the Isle Queen IV as your source of transportation. If it were me, given your situation, I would suggest just going to Houghton instead since it is only an hour away and because it may actually be an hour closer to you if you are coming from the south. If you go to Houghton, you can take the Royale Air Sea Plane. I realize this option costs almost a $100 more, but it does have many perks. If you take the sea plane you will only waste a little over an hour in transportation time as opposed to taking three ferrys which will take a total of 13 hours in total time. This time could be used to hike. Furthermore, you will not have all of these layover days where you must bunk at Windigo to take a ferry to Rock Harbor and bunk at Rock Harbor to take a ferry ride home. You could basically schedule the sea plane to take you over to Rock Harbor to be there in a half hour. Enjoy your trip. Then take the sea plane back from Windigo and be back to the mainland within a half hour. It's simple and quick.

Another suggestion is to take advantage of the Ranger III if you plan to go in the Fall. Not many of familiar with this option, but for the past two seasons, the Ranger III has been offering October departures. This year they are offering a transportation that will drop you off at Rock Harbor (actually Three Mile) and return back from Windigo. The only thing about this option is that it is only offered during the Ranger III's last departure of the season. During this particular year, the Rangers III last trip to the island is October 9th. She will be returning on October 16th from Windigo. In otherwords, its a great option, but an option that is only offered once a year...thus it could being a limiting factor. Furthermore, only 6 passengers are accepted for these dates. So it is my recommendation that if one were to want to take advantage of this option, that he or she make reservations by the beginning of May. This especially applies to those planning to bring a party larger than two.

As I said, if you are stuck on taking the Isle Queen IV for whatever reason, then yes, unfortunately there really isn't a perfect or ideal option. You will have layovers. You will lose valuable hiking time. You will have to stay over night at Rock Harbor to catch the Isle Queen IV on the following morning of the day you took the Voyageur to get back to the east side of the island. This would neeeeeeeever work for me. Ha Ha Ha. Not in a million years. However, I know of others that have dealt with worse inconveniences, so if you are not a perfectionist like me with your plan making, you will be able to make it happen, I am sure. I just see other alternatives that I would make work before doing your plan.
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
Rafiki
IR Expert

Post by Rafiki »

P.S. If I were to attempt what you plan on doing, here is something I would consider.

Take the Isle Queen to Rock Harbor. First night camp at Rock Harbor. Wake up and take the Voyageur from Rock Harbor to Windigo. Hike from Windigo to Rock Harbor. The great thing about this is you will make it to Windigo by 3pm and still have the chance to hoof it over to South Desor to begin your Greenstone journey. I would then use my last day on the island to make it a point to get to Rock Harbor by 2:00pm so I could catch the Isle Queen IV back home. This would allow you to avoid staying at Rock Harbor the night before taking the Isle Royale IV.

If you do things the other way around, like you initially were planning, I think it would be too risky to get up super early from South Desor on your last "hiking day" in hopes of getting to Windigo for the 9:30am departure. Therefore, in order to play it safe, you would have to stay the night at Windigo, but doing the other option, the one I mentioned above, avoids this and allows you the extra hiking time that not taking the Isle Queen IV until 2:45pm would allow you.

I'm not sure if this made any sense. If it didn't I will try to re-explain, otherwise I am sure someone else will help you with understanding what I was trying to convey. I have my girlfriend calling me, so I have to run. I hope I was a little helpful and did not make things more confusing. While I would still opt to take the Sea Plane or the Ranger III in the fall, if I was stuck on the Isle Queen IV as my only option, then the above option is the one I would select.
Starfire
NewbieCake

Post by Starfire »

Yeah, I don't like the extra time and layovers. I want to take the seaplane, buy I don't know if my son and son-inlaw can afford the extra. I might try to help them cover the difference, but I want to know what all my options are.

It's too bad the queen couldn't wait for the voyager ferry before departing.
Rafiki
IR Expert

Post by Rafiki »

I agree Starfire. Why can't life ever be simple. Wouldn't that just be the greatest. You take the Voyageur to Rock Harbor. Get there at 4pm eastern and the Isle Queen IV leaves an 4:30pm eastern. That would be the life. Why does life have to be so complex :(
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Personally I enjoy boats (pretty much any kind), and taking the Voyageur II around the island and seeing the island from the water perspective. Took the seaplane last year for the first time and loved that too--would have loved a longer trip the length of the island :). There's also day hiking and other things to do at Rock Harbor and Windigo too--I also find a little time there eases me back into civilization. But we're all different...

Hiking Windigo to Rock Harbor may work better for you, depending on the day of the week, so check out the schedules. You may also consider whether driving to Grand Portage may offset the extra night at one end of the island or the other.

FYI, the boat schedules are set to avoid any 2 boats docked at the same time--note that Ranger and Voyageur alternate nights at R.H. It happens occasionally at R.H. due to weather delays, but it makes things pretty hectic, due both to the number of people and making room for the boats (talk about civilization--long lines, overcrowded campgrounds, and everything...).
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH