Tarp poles and tent stakes

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

Buckwheat
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Tarp poles and tent stakes

Post by Buckwheat »

We (two couples) will be going to IR for the first time in early August. We are using the water taxis and will canoe from McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor over an 8 day period. We plan on camping at the McCargoe Cove, West Chickenbone, Lake Richie Canoe, Wood Lake, Lake Whittlesey and Chippewa Harbor campsites. Should we take a couple of poles for a 12 x 12 rain tarp, or are there enough trees at the campsites to string a tarp when it rains. The photos in the trip reports I have seen show some with poles and some without. I was also wondering about what type of stakes to take for the tents. Will regular wire tent stakes work or are the tent pads made from sand requiring stakes that will stay in sand? Or, do you just tie the corners down with rope and rocks?

I still have not decided about footwear either. Someone recommended using Quetico Trekkers with the gaitor neoprene socks. I can't decide if that is what I want or if I should buy regular hiking boots for the portages and then I would have good boots for future hiking / backpacking trips. Any advice would be appreciated. I have learned a lot from this board.

Bill
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Tarp poles and tent stakes

Post by Ingo »

Hey Buckwheat, I've done that trip and brought 2 tarp poles. I don't think we ever used both, and you could probably get away without any, although I like the flexibility of only needing 1 tree. Good wire stakes are probably best--no sand but rocks and roots.

I use mid to lightweight hiking boots because I want the ankle support on the portages. Some portages are pretty rocky, esp the last one between Whittlesey and Chippewa Harbor.

Be sure to stop on Ryans Island in Lake Siskiwit so you can say you've been on the largest island on the largest lake on the largest island on the largest lake in the world! (well, I guess there's some dispute over Superior being the largest, but by some measure anyway).

If you haven't found it, here's my trip log and pics from that trip: http://web.mac.com/ingonet/iWeb/IR2002/Main.html I kept reasonably good track of portage/paddling times.

Have a great trip (you will)!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Nick
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by Nick »

I picked up a Kelty Noah's Tarp a couple of years ago and I've found it quite versatile. I can string it high for a sunshade, on one corner for a lean-to, from the inside straps to make a tent, etc. Only problem is that your are subject to bugs.

My boots are heavy weight Asolo's. No problem so far. They replaced my old Red Wings that I've had since '73.
Buckwheat
NewbieCake

Post by Buckwheat »

Ingo and Nick - Thanks for the information. The pictures in Ingo's trip report were very helpful. It looks like our trip will be a duplicate of the one Ingo took, except it will be a little slower. I also have the Kelty Noah's Tarp, so it is good to hear it was a good choice. I will take one tarp pole as suggested.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Buckwheat wrote:I also have the Kelty Noah's Tarp...
Me too!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

You can use your trekking poles to erect your tarp.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
Kevinl
Bushwacker

Post by Kevinl »

I can't imagine not using hiking boots, although I'm unfamiliar with those Quetico boots you mention. I bring sandals and boots.

Regular tent stakes should be fine. Any tent stakes should be fine.

I haven't brought a tarp before because I don't like carrying extra weight. If the rain is bad I just get in my tent or under my boat. If the rain is long, it just means I need a nap. To contradict my statement about weight, on this similar route last year, with my dad, we each brought lawn chairs, but they were really light. Maybe as light as a tarp and poles.

I'm glad to hear you're taking your time on this route. Some awesome campsites and incredible paddling getting to them.