how have crowds been so far? And rookies

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

how have crowds been so far? And rookies

Post by JerryB »

Barring Covid (my wife has it at the moment), I plan to hit the island on 9/2. i will come in at windigo and then: S Desor, Hatchett, L Ritchie, Moskie and two nights at Chippewa. I think i will skip Island Mine given the low water levels.

How have the crowds been so far? The last few years have been far busier than in the past and i was wondering if the trend continues. Is one group site at each campground still designated for overflow?

Last year I was struck by how many rookies were on the island. No problem with that but many seemed quite unprepared and had not done much if any research. How about this year?
kkrause
NewbieCake

Re: how have crowds been so far? And rookies

Post by kkrause »

It was my first visit ever this year 7-14 to 7-20 (I will be going back next year with my wife). All of the shelters and most of the tent sites on the Rock Harbor trail were full every night. A group doing the inland lakes said the campsites were fairly empty, and another group finishing up the Minong said that trail was pretty empty
Bobcat1
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: how have crowds been so far? And rookies

Post by Bobcat1 »

On my kayak trip, I stayed mostly at boat-in campsites. Except for heavy powerboat usage at Windigo/Beaver Is/Grace Harbor due to an annual fishing tournament on my first weekend, usage didn’t seem too bad. Didn’t really cross paths with many hikers.
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC