Current conditions on the island (2013)

Questions regarding Weather, Bugs, Northern Lights and other "natural" phenomena.

Moderator: drobarge

darksideofoz
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: Current conditions on the island

Post by darksideofoz »

another 6" of snow in the Keweenaw last night. At least they are calling for temps in the 50's this weekend.

Though that probably means 10" of snow on Sunday hehe.
1 Isle Royale trip: July 2nd-6th 2010
RH>Caribou
Caribou>Daisy Farm Trail>Conglomerate Bay back country camping
Conglomerate Bay>Tookers
Tookers>Merritt Lane
Merritt Lane>Rasberry Island>RH
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

I have seen pictures from the opening crew on the Island. Winter is still in full force, it would be fun to be out there now!!!!
If you are on FB, IRKPA has put up a few pictures from this years opening crew.
One good thing about the snow and continued cold, should put a dent in the winter ticks that usually drop off in April!!!
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 19

Post by fonixmunkee »

Here's some pictures of Mott Island via johnhens & Ranger Greg:
DSC_0908.JPG
DSC_0907.JPG
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

Thanks for the pictures John. Those are the same pictures as on Facebook. They are from Monday, April 22nd at Mott Island.
They also have a picture of their landing craft following a Coast Guard cutter out of Houghton.

I believe we may be portaging in snowshoes. Or maybe cross-country skis? Or, do we just jump in da canoe and slide Yooper style??

Should be interesting :?
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

4/24/2013 MODIS imaqery of Superior:
http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis/ ... 3.250m.jpg
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

Looks like good paddling on Siskiwit lake. Not!
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

Ice boating!!!!
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

Wouldn't have to worry about taking a wave over the gunnel.
hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

MikeT wrote:Thanks for the pictures John. Those are the same pictures as on Facebook. They are from Monday, April 22nd at Mott Island.
They also have a picture of their landing craft following a Coast Guard cutter out of Houghton.

I believe we may be portaging in snowshoes. Or maybe cross-country skis? Or, do we just jump in da canoe and slide Yooper style??

What facebook page would that be? I only know of one and those aren't on that one. Thanks!
drobarge
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 24

Post by drobarge »

hooky wrote:
MikeT wrote:Thanks for the pictures John. Those are the same pictures as on Facebook. They are from Monday, April 22nd at Mott Island.

What facebook page would that be? I only know of one and those aren't on that one. Thanks!
https://www.facebook.com/#!/IRKPA?fref=ts
hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

Thanks drobarge!
iroy6
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by iroy6 »

Current conditions update posted on the IRKPA facebook page (link above):

"The National Park Service advises that campers and visitors to Isle Royale National Park should be prepared for winter camping conditions on the island for the next few weeks. Most docks are ice bound, and shore access is limited due to slowly melting ice shelves ringing the archipelago. Park Superintendent Phyllis Green says that visitors should monitor satellite photos for up-to-date information on access to bays and harbors. Even snowshoe travel is compromised and strenuous. “Our primary concern is that visitors understand what they are facing if they visit the island in early May. These conditions naturally limit emergency response, so visitors need to be prepared for a true wilderness experience with a focus on self-reliance and safety. There is no potable water at entry points or campgrounds, and no gas or diesel sales are currently open for motorboats. We will monitor marine band radio, but remember there is little to no cell phone coverage on or around the island,” Green continued."
jchuntingt
NewbieCake

Post by jchuntingt »

We were planning a trip in mid to late June, roughly 8 days of portage/paddle, in at Chippewa Harbor & out at Moskey Basin, however, we don't want to be having to deal with major snow/ice, etc. Don't really have *any* idea of how quickly things might be expected to thaw out. I realize that no one has a crystal ball and can tell exactly what's going to happen, but we also don't want to make the trip if we're going to have to deal with anything close to what is there now.

We were actually have considered postponing to later in the season and/or next year even *before* finding out how "bad" things were on opening day, this situation might be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

NPS is saying a "few weeks" what are people's opinions/feeling/gut about the likelihood that in the next month or so everything will have melted and will be back to "normal."

Thanks in advance

jch
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by JerryB »

Next month or so? Shoot, I am scheduled to be on the island on May 22! I have already ruled out the Minong and am trying to figure the "best" route in less than ideal circumstances. Maybe Feldtmann Loop?

If anyone's crystal ball is all shined up, I would be interested in predictions for May 22.
drobarge
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 24

Post by drobarge »

More of a magic 8 ball guy myself but I wouldn't worry too much about snow by May 22, the nitghts will probably be a little chilly. By mid to late June I wouldn't even consider snow and ice a possibility.